Why are people taller today than in the past?

Not more food, but more variety of food. Not too long ago, and still to a certain extent in some areas, most of your diet might consist of rice, or potatoes, or whatever the local staple available was. Or more rice, potatoes, flour and fat.

In some areas people still live like that. But in even marginally developed areas today there is access to a greater variety of food that simple was not available previously. Family size in developed areas has also reduced so that the competition for the family resources, however meager, are more available to fewer children.

The answer is complex but is still related to better or more available nutrition.

Wikipedia is my only source on this, but they claim that there are numerous potential causes of early menarche. Better/more regular food isn’t listed among them, but too much food, i.e. obesity, is. Kids (in the US at least) are more overweight than ever; apparently those are the ones driving down the average age of menarche.

Genetics, health, and diet are important of course but gravity is also weaker now a days.

:wink:

You can see differences in similar population groups exposed to different environments. North Koreans are way shorter than South Koreans.

North Korean Soldier in comparison to South Korean and American Soldier.

Westerners today eat like kings of old. All the milk and meat they want.

Yes, to some extent that really does mean simply “more food”. It’s been awhile since people perished in famines, or the poor simply didn’t have enough to eat, but that really did used to happen. My mother remembered life before there was any form of government aid for the poor, eating just one gravy “sandwich” a day for a time. Her maternal grandparents fled Ireland during the Potato Famine, an event during which a million (or more) of people died for simple lack of food (why they lacked for it involved some complications I won’t get into here…)

For much of human history simple getting enough food, never mind the quality, was a major accomplishment and pre-occupation.

For couch potatoes and desk jockeys, yes, certainly. For people performing actual manual labor not so much.

At least these days people don’t routinely suffer scurvy by spring - that used to be a fairly common occurrence because fresh fruit and vegetables weren’t available during the winter and not a lot of cultures ate significant raw meat (which is how the Inuit avoid scurvy).

As noted - for a lot of people the “diet” might be mostly rice, or mostly potatoes, or mostly beans and cabbage - whatever could be easily grown in quantity. “Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot nine days old” wasn’t just a saying, for a lot of people it was a lifetime reality. There was little variety.

So yes, the current western diet has some problems, but most subsistence farmers who go from hard-scrabble pre-modern diets to a western one suddenly start seeing their children shoot up in height. It’s a combination of adequate calories and adequate amounts of things like iron and calcium.

Natural selection doesn’t work nearly as fast as people think it does.

Although it has had an effect - the ability of some humans to continue to digest lactose past weaning, for example. Hemachromatosis, which in a typical western diet leads to iron overload, might have evolved in regions where the diet was low in iron for generations. Certain groups now prone to obesity and Type II diabetes may have evolved “thrifty” genes for putting on weight because for generations they were subjected to food shortages.

Natural selection, however, does NOT work fast enough to account for increased height from the 19th Century to present.

I think that is also a major factor.

But don’t discount the food - certain disease due to dietary deficiencies used to be common world wide and simply because we know a little more we can avoid them:

scury - cured by vitamin C, which is dirt cheap in pill form or we just know to eat some fresh fruit/vegetables once in awhile.
cretinism - cured by iodine, which is why most salt is iodinized these days, to prevent this.
rickets - that one will take some inches off your height, prevented by vitamin D and calcium
pellagra - niacin (B3) deficiency, largely gone due to fortified food like breads in the west
beriberi - thiamine (B1) deficiency, largely gone, again, due to fortified foods in the west

All of the above could stunt growth, and cause much suffering and debilitation among adults. All of the above are rare because even an “appalling” western diet provides sufficient micronutrients to avoid the above, and multi-vitamins are dirt cheap and popular, particularly for children.

A lot of this also ties into better transportation for food - things like oranges used to be Christmas gifts because they were special and expensive. We take bananas for granted - they’re common and cheap but they’re tropical fruit and are only available world-wide due to modern transportation and cooling methods. Not the most nutritious of fruit, but they contain a bit of a lot of things (including vitamins C, B1, and B3, all of which help prevent nutritional deficiency diseases) which help round out a diet. They’re soft, so they can be eaten by babies and old people with no teeth, and sweet, so both kids and adults will eat them. There are other things like that, which together add up to a much better diet than people routinely ate 200 or more years ago.

The biggest problem with the western diet today isn’t so much what is eaten but how much is eaten - the western world is obese because it eats more calories than it uses.

Heh :slight_smile:

Americans are known for eating two or three big plate servings in a day!! Well Europeans are known to eat 4 to 6 small plate servings in day.

One American plate serving is like two European plate servings.

That debate goes around of fruit and vegetables aka vegetarian diet vs high protein.

If everyone gone on say vegetarian diet will be be not so tall but shorter.

That’s only if you presume a vegetarian diet must have inadequate protein. That is not the case. It is entirely possible and not even all that difficult for a vegetarian diet to provide ample protein, particularly an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet.

Stunted growth in vegetarian cultures in the past were largely due to either interruptions in food supply (famine) or restricted diet (lack of variety). Neither is a problem in the modern developed world.

He’s not a spammer. He’s just weird.

I think kambuckta thought it was some adult website of hot girls for adult viewing but wearing clothing.

If you type in girls face in google search you going get fashion models, beauty hair style and cosmetic looks models.

So that why may came across to kambuckta of adult viewing.

It be kinda creepy posting people facebook pages of people or people birthday party here or collage party girls here.

These girls where doing fashion shoot anyways for magazines and cover.

There are several studies (usually done by considering skeletons) which have shown that medieval and middle ages peoplewere not much shorter then we are today.

Medieval and Middle Ages usually refer to Europe, which were never vegetarian cultures. There may have been people who did not eat meat frequently, but pretty much everyone ate meat when it was available (there are, of course, always exceptions).

Nor were the “Dark Ages” all that dark - there were times when food was sufficient and folks ate pretty well.

I was thinking about this the other day, I’m only 5’9’’ but I’m one of those stocky muscular people, I grew up eating plenty of protein and veggies too so I guess I reached my full genetic potential, I would have probably been quite short had I been born in a different place and time.

Folks who think the modern western diet is terrible need to look at the diet of the average person 200-300 years ago. Folks were chronically short of food in general and chronically short of the necessary vitamins and minerals to grow into a healthy adult.

While the western diet is kinda terrible in general, it is still leaps and bounds better than the typical malnourished person of a few centuries ago. An abundant, varied diet is a pretty new invention.

The better nutrition isn’t about more food. It’s about enriched food. While our mothers are pregnant and through our years of growth to adulthood we have more than enough intake of all the vitamins and most other nutrients we need due to the enrichment of food. This didn’t use to be the case.

The tallest people on earth on average are the Dutch and the Danes. It’s cause we’re Vikings. Which Country Has the Tallest People? (with pictures)

You are now - during the early half of the 20th Century not so much. They were hit pretty hard during WWII with food shortages.

Oh so you are saying the western diet is mostly protein and very little fruit and vegetables?

The western diet has way too much protein?

Now we know why steepest of stairs in Dutch are that way.:eek::eek: They are taller and have taller legs!!

Dutch steep stairs

http://dutchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/dutch-stairs-png.png

But these Dutch stairs seem to be built for people with very small feet!! It is horrible going up **and very much so **down these Dutch stairs.

People feet are way to big for these stairs.