Why are so many Christmas songs in a minor key?

Here you go. (Well, at least “Jingle Bells.” You can find a couple minor key versions of “Let It Snow” online, as well, but they’re more up-beat bluesy minor key interpretations.)

The most downbeat Christmas carol in existence is Bethlehem Down by Peter Warlock, in D minor.

Mary is happy with the magi’s gifts and imagines that her son will be a king someday, with a gold crown and beautiful robes. But actually,

When He is King they will clothe Him in grave-sheets,
Myrrh for embalming, and wood for a crown,
He that lies now in the white arms of Mary
Sleeping so lightly on Bethlehem Down.

…and a Merry Christmas to you too!

Nice, but no worse than the myrrh verse of “We Three Kings of Orient Are.”

(BTW, when I was a kid, I used to wonder what “orient are” was.)

“When I was a kid, I thought the angel’s name was Hark and the horse’s name was Bob.”

Pfft! At least he gets to be properly crowned and doted on by the magi and so on. Practically s a laugh-riot compared to middle two verses of The Infant King:

*Sing lullaby!
Lullaby baby, now reclining,
Sing lullaby!
Hush, do not wake the Infant King.
Angels are watching, stars are shining
Over the place where he is lying.
Sing lullaby!

Sing lullaby!
Lullaby baby, now a-sleeping,
Sing lullaby!
Soon will come sorrow with the morning,
Soon will come bitter grief and weeping:
Sing lullaby!

Sing lullaby!
Lullaby baby, now a-dozing,
Sing lullaby!
Soon comes the cross, the nails, the piercing,
Then in the grave at last reposing:
Sing lullaby!

Sing lullaby! Lullaby! is the babe awaking?
Sing lullaby! Hush, do not stir the infant King.
Dreaming of Easter, gladsome morning,
Conquering death, its bondage breaking:
Sing lullaby!

Merry Christmas!!!
(It is a lovely song, Basque traditional tune, lyrics by Sabine Baring Gould. Here’s a nice recording, although none I found uses the slower tempo I prefer; I mean, it’s a frickin’ lullaby, people: slow the heck down!)

Heh. In fairness, those aren’t really Christmas carols. Just secular winter songs that get stuffed into the Christmas box, so to speak.

Not an answer to the OP, but I like Wendel Fergusons’s complaint that Christmas songs have too many chords…

I used to play Bartók’s Romanian Christmas Carols on the piano a lot. Of them, fifteen are minor key (mainly Dorian) and five are major. Bartók arranged them starting with minor keys, placing the major ones mostly near the end.