Why are so many people pro-choice?

Why do so many people not understand that life is sacred, and that abortion is wrong? I mean, if someone killed a twenty-year-old, no one would say that that wasn’t murder! Why must so many people draw the line at unborn chidren?

So many people are pro-choice because they don’t feel that they can make decisions about what’s morally appropriate for someone else.

They’re pro-choice because they realize that a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body is fundamental to liberty on all fronts. Taking away reproductive rights is the equivalent of creating a non-person out of the adult woman.

There are so many people who are pro-choice because they’ve made a decision that life starts at birth, not at conception. That a ball of cells do not equal a human being.

-L

Even most “pro choice” people don’t draw the line at unborn children. I, for one, draw the line at when the child has a functioning brain and thus, a “concience.” That’s at about 4 to 5 months, but I err on the side of saftey, and say that, except in cases where it is absolutley necessary to save the life of the mother, the legal limit should be 4 months after conception.

Without a functioning brain, it’s just a ball of cells, and essentially just a tumor.

Those people are obviously not told that women who have abortions almost always, if not absolutely always, have to go through therapy because they feel so badly about what they did.

You are just a “ball of cells”, and do you consider yourself a tumor?

That is complete and utter bullshit.

#1. It’s not true.

#2. If and when women need counseling, it’s becuase of morons like you, who try to foist your morals on to them and make them feel shitty about themselves.

-L

I don’t think SexyWriter’s argument holds up under close scrutiny. As a man, I should have the same “fundamental to liberty on all fronts.” I should also have the same rights she extends to the pregnant mother to decide whether to “use the freedom of my body” to support a child. But if, after having a child I decide to stop supporting it, all of a sudden I’m a bad person, a so-called “dead-beat dad.” I don’t think the proper basis of legal abortions should be special freedoms extended to the mother prior to the birth of the child.

I also believe abortion is murder. You are killing something which is genetically human, even if it is not fully formed. If anyone wants to argue that this is it’s own tough luck that it can not survive on its own, then we should legalize abortion to the age of two or more, and we should have no compulsion against unplugging someone respirator should we not feel like paying for the electricity.

But, there is no good way to ban it. I don’t think locking a woman up for the rest of her life as either a punishment or a deterant is very effective, or fair to a woman who may ultimately repent of her actions. We’d also risk throwing innocent women in prison for miscarriages beyond their control. That would be a… well… er… miscarriage of justice and I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone.

I don’t like the idea of my tax dollars going to kill the unborn, but of course that is my own fault for paying taxes. But I have a general lack of compassion for strangers anyway as is rather healthy in this modern world, especially for those fully aware of the consequences of their actions.

Hi, and welcome to Great Debates. Here, when you make a statement like “that women who have abortions almost always, if not absolutely always, have to go through therapy because they feel so badly about what they did.”: you’re likely to get the response “prove it”.
Prove it.

Some people do not have functioning brains, and are alive, and they are not considered tumors.

(to SexyWriter)

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BET ON THAT?!!!

Unless you have gone through this yourself, which I suspect you have; otherwise you would not be writing this; you have absolutely no right to say that those women never have therapy, and if they do, it’s because of idiots who foolishly think that killing someone is wrong.

:looks around yep, still in Great Debates: ok, gotta play it straight then, but please stop feeding straight lines, ok?
Many people who consider themselves pro choice talk about having a conscious. While you are correct that at times there are people who have accidents or whatever and become what is often referred to as “brain dead”, they did have such capacity at one point and thus achieved “personhood” and, don’t forget too, that there are folks out there who would believe that cessation of brain function would mean that the ‘person’ was no longer alive, despite the body shells’ condition.

Actually they aren’t alive. They are braindead. Though its possible for some to come back to life, they are “mostly dead”

Alloran, as was mentioned earlier, if you feel that abortion is murder, then who do you propose should be criminally liable? The mother? If so, do you propose criminal investigation of all miscarriages, regardless of situation, to make sure that none were self induced?

What do you recommend as an option to abortion for people?

Yes, case in point.

And jmullaney I was only illustrating common arguments of people who call themselves pro-choice. You know…answering the OP. I wasn’t even suggesting that these were MY arguments. In fact, in my current situation I would never end a pregnancy.

Where are your cites, you imbecile? Women who have abortions must go through a counselling session prior to terminating the pregnancy. But they generally do not need therapy afterwards. Looking up my own cites now. I suggest you locate yours. Try checking your ass.

-L

Well, I suppose “tumor” is an inflammatory way of putting it, but I agree with the basic point that a developing human organism needs to have grown a brain before I can consider it a person. Every cell in my body is “genetically human”, but I don’t consider every cell in my body to be a “person”. If I cut myself it hurts, but I’m not overwhelmed by the tragedy of countless “human lives” running out to die slow, cruel deaths on the ground. And if a human no longer has any higher brain functions at all, and has no hope of ever recovering them, then I don’t consider that human to really be a living person in any meaningful sense any more, even if the body is still breathing (perhaps with the aid of a respirator).

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by MEBuckner *
**Well, I suppose “tumor” is an inflammatory way of putting it, but I agree with the basic point that a developing human organism needs to have grown a brain before I can consider it a *person[/iQUOTE]

What do you define as a brain? We still know very little about the human mind and brain, so unless you’re willing to give the definition of a brain, I suggest that you shut up.

Umm…I, like EVERYONE on the internet, have a functioning, concious, brain. Ergo, no, I am not merely a “ball of cells.” However, the moment my brain ceases to have any higher functioning, or, in common terms, I am “brain dead,” then yes, I am merely a ball of cells, and, were I able to consider myself anything (which, of course, I would not be, as I would no longer have a concious brain), I would consider myself a tumor, were I relying on another life form for nutrients. As it is, I’m just a ball of cells, yes, and ceasing my existance would not be a problem.

Also, I’ll join in with asking for a cite on your counseling claim.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by MEBuckner *
**Well, I suppose “tumor” is an inflammatory way of putting it, but I agree with the basic point that a developing human organism needs to have grown a brain before I can consider it a *person[/iQUOTE]

What do you define as a brain? We still know very little about the human mind and brain, so unless you’re willing to give the definition of a brain, I suggest that you shut up.

Also, on a lighter note, have you ever seen what teenagers do? Are you then willing to declare teenagers to be “nonhuman”?

SexyWriter – me neither!

So, what then is wrong with forced abortion? If all you are doing is removing a “tumor” that doesn’t leave much room to condemn it.

Try actually thinking about it and looking for them, instead of just being lazy.