The question is:
Why are there no green mammals?
I have been thinking about this question for some time. I have yet to get a satisfactory answer, but some people have brought up some probably useful ideas…
Here’s what I’ve thought of so far, in no particular order.
- There are green reptiles, amphibians, insects, spiders, crustaceans, plants, fish, birds and invertebrates. I think that covers most every other form of life on the planet. I’m not a biologist, but I think that list accounts for most things.
- For all of those other species, whether the creature is predator or prey, there are plenty of examples of green animals.
- But not for mammals. No green mammals.
- The question is not moot, and it is relevant. I’m not for example, asking why there are no silver and pink striped mammals. There are many other green creatures…
- Mammals share the same habitats as many of these other animals: forests; deserts; grassy plains; jungles; etc. Mammals even share aquatic habitats, part of the time and even much of their lives with these other animals.
- From (5) above, if other creatures have found an advantage, through evolution, of being green, why hasn’t a single mammal evolved to the color green?
One person I asked the question of, pointed out that Darwin would have asked whether there was a need for a given mammal to be green. This is a good point and worth thinking about. My initial thoughts are yes, justified by points 5 and 6 above.
I thought that it might have something to do with mammals being so young, relative to some of the other kinds of animals, such as reptiles and fish.
To the people who insist that no mammal could find an advantage from being green, I can only reply with a stunned look. Other species living in the same environment, whether they be predator or prey, find clear advantage from being green (for better camouflage or stealth, for example). Why would a mammal in the same environment not be favored by the same coloring?
I would like to discuss this with anyone interested. I feel there is some big picture here that is being missed.
Thanks in advance,