Why are there only 2 sexes?

Check out this post:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/specials/sheffield_99/newsid_447000/447058.stm

Am I the only dummy in the world who didn’t even know it was possible to have more than 2 sexes (except for mutations)???
If humans could have more than 2 sexes what would they be? My mind boggles at this?

There are 7 sexes: male heterosexuals, female hetersexuals, male homosexuals, female homosexuals, males over age 65, females over age 65, and infants under 1 hour old. Without all these sexes, reproduction would be possible.

Leastways, that’s what Kurt Vonnegut says, and who am I to challenge him?

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Pardon me, without these sexes, reproduction would NOT be possible.

And so it goes…

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Because we get confused enough as it is.
– Sylence

“The problem with reality is the lack of background music.” – Anon

only 2 you say?
what about Hermaphrodites?

Kelli–I thought hermaphrodites were genetic abnormalities? Am I uninformed on that as well? :slight_smile:
Boy, biology has changed since I was in college!

Dunno…but what sex would you put them in?

Not a clue, here! I’d just say not normal.

Hermaphrodites, as I understand it, have both male and female sexual equipment. It’s a genetic error, rather than a gender, and almost never does one get asked to the prom.

Women are from Venus, men are from Mars, and they meet at Earth…which is pretty much the same problem Belgium has with the Germans and French. One or more additional sexes would REALLY be trouble.

Rich Barr
massivemaple@hotmail.com
AOL Instant Messenger: Hrttannl

Well, the point of sex is to reproduce, and the point of having two people contributing is to create diversity (physical, psycological etc) amongst the offspring.

You need a sperm and an egg. A thrid sex would mean a whole rejiggering of sexual reproduction methods and ingredients, so I don’t think it’ll happen on this planet any time soon.

I think it boils down to minimum numbers to create diversity. Answer: 2.

Though this smacks of some ‘decision’ being made by some ‘higher entity’ which I’m not too certain over, frankly. Indeed, I doubt it a lot.

The more sexes, the more complicated it becomes to reproduce.

Anyone ever see Ed Subitski’s SATURDAY NIGHT ON ANTARIUS: THE PLANET WITH TWELVE DIFFERENT SEXES? It kind of covers the problems. :slight_smile:

Homer Simpson;
Sure give us the one with the monsters :slight_smile:

<font face=“impact”>Some aphids are parthenogenic…they are born pregnant. Effectively, each generation (except for mutants) is a clone of their mother.
Lets hope Pauley Shore never learns this trick!</fonts>

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

***Markxxx: {{Sure give us the one with the monsters}}

Hey, be happy. Do you realize what your air conditioning bill would be on Venus?

***daniel p bostaph: {{Lets hope Pauley Shore never learns this trick!}}

Yeah, I REALLY wanted to think about THAT.

Rich Barr
massivemaple@hotmail.com
AOL Instant Messenger: Hrttannl

Mushrooms have 36,000 sexes?

How on earth did the fungologists (?) figure that one out? Did they get a grant to inspect and count all the different fungal genitalia?

My mind is boggling . . .

“I’m surprised that you’ve never been told before, that you’re lovely, that you’re perfect, and that somebody wants you.” - Semisonic, f.n.p

Why only two sexes?

Well, it seems clear to me that three would be too many, and one not enough. For humans anyway.

I don’t know if this would apply to Brithael’s species, though.

The opposite of courage is not cowardice, but conformity