Why are there so many captains named "Jack"?

Interesting. I must admit that I’d never really paid attention to the lyrics as I’ve only heard the miserable song once or twice. Apologies for the false assumption and spreading of ignorance. Are those the real lyrics Chimera posted?

Yep. That’s the second verse.

“Ah, but still your finger’s gonna pick your nose” :dubious:

I’m a big fan of Billy though I’ve always avoided this song because it’s tedious and just unpleasant sounding. Reading the lyrics has done nothing to make me change my mind(although I do appreciate knowing the meaning behind it).

Just correcting the spelling.

Always had a fondness for thisCaptain Jack. :slight_smile:

Also Edgar Buchanan’s title character in the “Captain Jack” episode of Leave It to Beaver.

My favourite Captain Jack is a genuine historical figure: aka Kintpuash, chieftain of the Modoc tribe in California in their brief war against the US. Seemingly, a less-than-terrifying opponent: Sitting Bull he wasn’t, poor sod.

missed one:

ETA: D’oh, OK, Elemenopy beat me to it.

Captain Spaulding was a character in the 1928 Broadway play Animal Crackers, written by chauvinist New Yorkers George S. Kaufman and Morrie Ryskind, who hated Hollywood.

John was the default name for an Englishman, John Bull being their Uncle Sam. Any use of John or Jack meant England and all its wonderful character, especially since its self-image was of the archetypal sea-power.

And if you read Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book ( a fantastical take on Kipling’s Jungle Books ) we run across a mysterious group known as the Jacks of All Trades, all of them famous Jacks.