Why are there so many kids versions of adult shows?

I just saw there’s a kids version of Mythbusters. Who’s the target demographic for kids versions of shows (cooking, game, science, etc) not on kid oriented channels? I personally find them annoying (kid’s acting and talking like adults far before their time), but do other adults enjoy them, teens, preteens? Someone must be watching them since there’s so many.

Kids generally like to see themselves as older than they are. So it stands to reason they would enjoy entertainment where a kid is fulfilling a role which an adult would normally fill.

As for why studios respond to this, kids are a great demographic for advertisers.

there’s so many kids channels that say chopped junior (which is food network putting its money where its mouth is after its years long campaign of “lets teach kids how to cook”) fails they can roll it over to discovery kids or the kids side Netflix with minimum loss
on Saturdays theres several versions like masterchef jr American ninja youth even the cake boss had a kids baking contest and a trading spaces room swap show

like ramsey said “if it inspires one kid to learn how to do it right to the best of their ability then its done its job” and if makes network cash well that’s gravy

:dubious: Do you really want me to answer that?

Is this a trick question?

A few points:

1. Copying the format of a more successful “adult” show is an easy win. Why make something new if you can just keep doing the same thing that has already proven successful?

2. Marketing matters. If you can build off the “brand awareness” of an existing show, it is easier than trying to advertise an unknown program from scratch.

3. Kids have always watched these kinds of shows. When I was a kid they had Mr. Wizard. There was also some show about cops who solved puzzles using math. Then there was Bill Nye the Science Guy. Kids do watch these things, and networks like being able to say they run programs that are educational.

4. Kids wouldn’t know good acting if it bit them on the ass.

5. Some adults do watch this stuff. My dad consistently watched Nickelodeon (eg Rugrats, Doug, Invader Zim). He just found “adult TV” to be too damned depressing. And don’t even get me started on Cartoon Network. There is an entire segment of their programming deliberately designed to be watched while stoned.

If I may quote Robert Heinlein:

"The answer to any question starting, “Why don’t they—” is almost always, “Money”. "

:confused: …Ewwwwww… :eek:

Kids do watch these shows. My 9 year old watches some of them, whichever he happens to find interesting.

As I think about it, I suppose the a target demographic might be parents watching with their kids, particularly parents who want to encourage their kids interest. Pretty narrow target, but I guess that’s the way marketing is done now.

That’s true, if I want to be specific. My wife watches a lot of cooking shows, and sometimes my son watches with her, and they both like the kids cooking shows. For her it’s just another cooking show and for him it’s a show with kids he can relate to. It’s something they can watch together.

So much less annoying than adults who baby talk like children.

I’m not sure what you’re thinking, but I’m pretty sure it’s not where I was going with my post, given your reaction.

Diddums.

Moderator Action

Since this is about TV shows and how and why they are created, let’s move it to Cafe Society (from IMHO).

I would suggest that the target demographic of a kid version of a show is…kids.

Are you under the impression that kids only watch kid oriented channels, OP? Or that other channels cannot possibly have kid oriented shows as part of their menu?

Mythbusters for instance was a very popular show for all ages. Mythbusters junior is very obviously mainly targeted towards kids. Getting viewers attracted to ones channel and brand while they are young and impressionable is gold.

But that’s precisely the reason to ask. If the kids like the adult shows, why make a kids’ version?

I do agree that kids are the target audience. (Even if they bring the parents along, they bring them along to get to the kids.) But that means they have to be doing something to try and appeal to kids more than the adult version of the show.

Sometimes it works. Other times, like when every comic superhero got a kid sidekick, they don’t really get what the kids want to see.

I’ll also point out that channels are pushing their older content a lot more now, so even if the adult show is off the air by the time the kid gets older, it’s possible it will still attract them to the adult version.

I think I’m on the same wavelength, why put a show oriented to kids on a channel (Science) that has shows oriented towards adults? Is the demographic of kids or kids plus parents watching greater than adults watching themselves? I’m assuming it is as they’ve lost me for the hour the the kid oriented show is on and if they continue on this path, they’ll lose me as a viewer. Yes, I understand that I’m one person and not even a Nielsen participant, but there must be market research to support their potential loss of whatever demographic group I fall in.

Edit: I could leave the Food Network on all day, but as soon a kid version of a show comes on, I switch channels. When I want to watch kid oriented shows, I switch to Disney or Nick.

During the day, only moms and kids are at home. Stay at home moms (overwhelmingly) don’t watch Science.