Why can't people just use Christ???

May we now call you Xi?

Peace.

“Put the ‘Crist’ back in ‘Cristi’!”

Sorry Opalcat, but according to Jesus…

In other words, because you practice compassion for those in need, Christ is present in your holiday and you get to go to Christian heaven, and you are celebrating Xmas in the true Christian spirit (maybe even more so than many Christians). Congratulations!

Peace.

Hey! I like that! But tell me if it has any strange meanings before you do, okay? My Greek is obviously a little rusty.

Well, I got a herd of goats here, who I love and treat with compassion, and if we’re Left out, I don’t get it? Splain, please?

elelle, it didn’t say where the goats went.

The sheep got the kingdom, yeah, but the goats got to PAR-TAY!

“Teaching without words and work without doing are understood by very few.”
-Tao Te Ching

I now find myself in the unusual position of correcting God.

I realize you must be awfully busy this time of year, but you must realize that they’re calling it “NC-17mas” these days…

ZOT!!!

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

See that, Opal? You get to be Christian even when you don’t want to! How conveeeeenient.

Maybe you should use a little Greece. :slight_smile:

<laughing so hard I’m crying>…Very good shot Wiggum…lol :slight_smile:

I look forward to this time of year the most because no matter where I am, there is always some arrogant bible quoting Christian who asks this same question, only to learn that the X in Xmas symbolizes his/her beloved God and they finally have to admit that maybe…just maybe… they don’t know everything there is to know about their own religion. I recommend a class in Religious Symbolism for you counterattackii…it may open your eyes to alot of things about your chosen religion.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I did not know that that’s what the X is for.
Excuse me, pldennison, if I am not on the same intellectual level with YOUR infinite wisdom. rolls eyes It is not my fault that my parents always told me that. Runs off to do battle with parental units…

Wash, rinse, maim.

Don’t be an idiot.
Anyway, I’m religious and believe in a god etc, but I don’t label my god “Jesus” or his long bearded, robed dad.
Jesus is credited with a lot of good stuff in the NT, I’ve never doubted that. However, Christianity as a whole reflects veeeeery little of that.

I find this particularly amusing given the use of the word “ignornant” in the OP…

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

I admit it - I was ignorant on this topic. Next time- a little research prior to posting. I apologize, and now I am off to get gauze for my foot… ow

Wash, rinse, maim. (well, maybe not the last one…)

So if Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ, why does the year start several days later?
The church calendar always was goofy to me. Christ is born, then there’s Carneval etc etc and Easter.End of Christ. What do you do with the rest of the year? All sorts of useless saint days.

I will admit though that non-Christians celebrating Christmas but “not wanting to bring Jesus into it” struck me as a little odd and insulting.

A lot like me saying “I think I’ll observe Hannukah this year. Oh, I don’t believe in the Jewish junk – I just like the idea of eight days of gifts.”

If you want a nice non-denominational reason to put up a tree and give out Pokémon dolls, make a holiday out of the Solstice. And don’t bother me with the “it used to be a pagan holiday” junk. Thayt’s not the issue. Christmas is a Christian holiday. If you want to observe pagan holidays, knock yourself out. Just call them what they are.

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Heh. I didn’t know that I could tweak Christians by celebrating Christmas. Well, this Sunday, me and my agnostic/atheist/deist/Hindu side of the family are going to celebrate Christmas early, and we are going to open Christmas presents and drink wine and have a fine old time and not mention Jesus at all. Holidays change; you mentioned yourself that it was once Mithrasmas, then Christmas, and now it is still called Christmas but it is a secular holiday for many non-Christians. I don’t see any reason to make up a new holiday when I can use one that already suits me just fine. If non-Jews in a predominately Jewish country had a history of celebrating Hannukah, I wouldn’t worry about that either. Christmas has been changed from a wholly religious holiday to one that can be secular as well, and I don’t see any reason to turn back the clock.

“Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting.”

• Bertrand Russell

Actually, it doesn’t bother me at all what anyone does with it. I was just making a point. Namely, to use my own example, that it would seem so un-PC to bastardize Hannukah into a secular holiday, but since Christians are the majority, no one really cares if they get their holiday taken over. On the other hand, if the Christians cared that much, they’d of tried harder to make Christmas more… well… Christian.

I guess it’s what you make of it.

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Why can’t people just use “Happy Holidays?”

The margarine of evil

I don’t think it is so much that secular sorts “stole” Christmas as it is that there were so many Christians around that it was more circumspect even for people who did not believe to celebrate the holiday. Christianity secularized Christmas simply by making it “weird” (or suspicious, “anti-Christian”, evilly-atheistical or heretical) to not celebrate it. If this was a predominately Jewish country, and we all got 8 days off of work for Hannukah and were bombarded with Hannukah symbols and songs since before Thanksgiving, I’d bet secular sorts would celebrate Hannukah too. Frankly, I’m not about to turn down a holiday where people try to be nicer and I get to give and receive gifts (and drink and party with friends and family).

OpalCat were you the poster on the AOL board who had the sig line “I don’t have any problems with Jesus. It’s his fan club I worry about.”?