Why can't you ever find a lamb sandwich?

Find the Muslim areas of town and then thank me. Lamb meat is often cheaper than supermarket beef there.

Yes, it’s available in most sandwich shops here too.

I had a lamb sandwich last week at the Basque food both at the Western Idaho State Fair. Come visit southwest Idaho / northern Nevada, Basques are everywhere turning out some good lamb dishes.

MMMMM… just got back from Elko, NV where the Star had the audacity to not only make us wait 1 1/2 hours for our table (we had a reservation damnit!) but were also out of baked lamb… bastards…
I will second finding ethnic sources for lamb or look for folks like me :). My friend in Panaca sells hair sheep (Kathadin, Dorper) lambs for about $80- she takes “your” lamb (this way you don’t have to worry about USDA regs) to the butcher, you pay her, you pay the butcher and you get about 40-50 lbs of great lamb for about $125 total (thats like $2.50-$3.00/lb). OR… you can just raise them like I do , I paid the butcher $43 to process one of my own lambs- got 50# of lamb that will probably last me all year and then some. I did have to feed the lamb for a year, but my sheep pay for themselves (I give stockdog lessons).

I was about to say something very much like this, the main difference is to find a good Greek neighborhood and the butcher they all use. Beyond that - what he says above.

Some people find lamb unpalatable as a cold meat, as the fat is wax-like when it solidifies; dunno if this is a factor, but I thought I’d mention it - it’s easier to keep sliced pork moist and tasty on a deli counter than it is lamb.

What *she * says above…

:slight_smile: