Why can't you use an NPA for sleep apnea?

If you think about it, you could have a tracheotomy and get one of those talking trach tubes and be done with it.

IANID, but my experience with nasopharyngeal tubes is that they’re great for short term treatment of upper airway obstructions due to temporary or reversible conditions such as seizures or anesthesia, etc. They’re often used as access for tracheal suction catheters in semi- and unconscious patients that can’t cough effectively.

Only once have I seen a NPT used and that was in conjunction with BiPAP (a long, sad story). Most, if not all awake patients will remove a NPT as soon as they are able to reach up and yank it out. They’re great indicators of the sensitivity of one’s gag reflex. There are also risks of chronic inflammation of the nasal mucosa, and sinus infection.

Never used for chronic airway maintenance. Really, really bad idea.

IANAD, dammit!

Did you even read my post?! I gave you the practical reasons such a thing isn’t approprate. It seems you just can’t take “no” for an answer.
Using a smaller diameter would actually present more problems. It would move around more.
I’ve seen cases where an NPA sized too small, was sneezed across the room.

As long as we’re talking about sleep apnea here, does anyone know how often (if it’s even possible) for someone who’s been using a CPAP to treat sleep apnea to get off of it? Like, say, after weight loss or whatever?

That is an excellent question.

My experiences with the CPAP are similar to Hometownboy’s, except that I am much less consistent with its use. :frowning:

Groman – don’t knock it till you tried it :slight_smile: CPAP sleep is very calming.

Enough!

Your questions on this board concerning solutions to your medical problems are getting tiring. We sometimes let, at our discretion, medical threads which don’t involve major problems to procede. This one is over.

If you want to seek medical solutions from the innovative people on this board, but refuse to listen to what actual medical practitioners say, then you need to do it somewhere else.

Fuel Don’t start another medical related thread on this board.

Go You Big Red Fire Engine. If you have a problem with a thread or a post, there’s this little triangle with an exclamation point in the upper right hand corner of the post. Use it.

bluecanary. Ditto, what I told Red.