Why did all the McDonaldland characters disappear

Ronald McDonald killed them all !

To devour their flesh.
Their sweet, tasty flesh…yesssss…

I see a lot less of those commercials nowadays.

How long did Mr Whipple last?

21 years and 500 commercials. And then they brought him back in 2000.

The next phase will be deep fake reproductions of Dick Wilson, coming soon to a youtube video near you!

He was eaten by bears.

applauds

They’re everywhere in the Detroit area now, but given our location relative to Canada, it’s to be expected. One of our accounting clients owns a few of them, and he’s complained that Tim’s opens new ones too close together, which significantly affects his business. They want one less than a mile from everyone’s house it seems.

I think Jack in Box resurrecting their own clown as parody back in the 1990’s was the death knell for traditional fast food mascots. Cute wasn’t good enough, mascots had to be edgy, like that Taco Bell dog.

Funny how McD got in trouble for copying H.R. Puffinstuff. As a kid, I found that show to be weird but OK, as I did not understand most of it. As an adult, I have viewed the odd episode (especially the intro) and find my jaw dropping. O…M…G… Really? Wow. To think the Kroffts were such a big deal back in the day they fought McD and won.

I really want the Gecko to start licking his eyeball again!

At that time, the Kroffts had just gotten their first success with a show of their own, in H.R. Pufnstuf (they had previously done the costumes for The Banana Splits), so I’m not sure if they were exactly a “big deal” then.

But, if you read the details of the case, it was a pretty damned clear case of IP theft:

• McDonald’s (through their ad agency) approached the Kroffts, about licensing the Pufnstuf characters for use in McDonald’s ads
  • After months of initial conversations, and a letter of agreement, the ad agency (untruthfully) told the Kroffts that the project had been cancelled
  • The agency then hired a number of people who had worked on Pufnstuf, including designers and a voice actor, to work on the McDonaldland campaign

No argument from me! I’m just a bit cynical, after McD having a record of getting their way even when they shouldn’t (e.g. the hot-coffee-spilled-in-lap incident). They may have lost that one but they sure made it seem like the victim’s fault.

Edgy/creepy mascot is something that Burger King does VERY well.

Changing the building was part of the desire to be more like an adult oriented artsy fast-casual chain, and not a fast food- comfort food family type place like the bright red and yellow plastic look implied.

Fast food places getting too big for their britches and thinking they’re some sort of fancy, expensive, artisan, healthy place instead of decadent and delicious burgers and fries (or whatever their main food is) isn’t unique to McDonalds. The Taco Bell “Cantina” menu and the Arbys’ “Market Fresh” sandwiches were other examples of this.

Oh gawd yes. I’ll take Ronald McD any day over that creepy Burger King. How they expected to sell more burgers with that awful thing is beyond me.

I liked Creepy Burger King. Although I don’t think he made me any more or less likely to patronize BK.

Was he any more creepy than Quiznos’s spongmonkeys?

And, tangential to this thread, I see Domino’s is bringing back The Noid.

Those things are pretty bad, but there was something about Creepy BK that was just a total creep-out for me. I just could not stand to look at that thing.

From the wikipedia page:

“Both lands feature … a multi-armed evil creature.”

Is this why Grimace lost two arms?

That may well be why. It might also explain why the Hamburglar’s look changed, going from a creepy-looking adult to a smiling kid.

https://chowhound3.cbsistatic.com/resize/390afd16dd37c417b63003c6389831705470556c/2018/07/Screen-Shot-2018-07-27-at-12.55.00-PM.png?fit=bounds&width=1200