Why did all the McDonaldland characters disappear

Maybe Dr. Rick, Progressive’s new ad campaign character, can tell her.

Me? I’m rooting for Doug and Limu Emu to have a serious accident to ring down the media curtain and join the choir invisible.

“This is an ex-emu!”

Unfortunately, this is so often how titles are written these days.

Also, it seems rather dubious given his previous multi-armed appearance.

I’m pretty sure no one at McDonalds thought he was a “taste bud” until people started questioning what the hell he was.

Lol :laughing:. Count me in as someone who would prefer if Dr. Rick completely replaced Flo.

I saw a headline on one of those clickbait articles claiming that Ronald McDonald had been downplayed as a mascot in 2016 when all of those creepy clown sightings started. I’m not sure I believed it, because clowns have been creepy since way before 2016, but you know how those clickbait things work. I didn’t click through so can’t provide any details.

Wraps are complicated? Don’t tell that Taco Bell. I’ll take a sweet chilli crispy chicken McWrap over a Big Mac everytime. I was bummed when they stopped offering the sweat chilli ones where I’m at.

I think the fazing out all the child friendly stuff and the more mature look to the restaurants is because the most important target demographic for McDonald’s is not young children anymore. The customers grew up and so McD grew up with them.

Yeah, but some keep going and going. Bibendum, the Michelin Man, has been around since 1898.

Energizer Bunny turns 33 next month…

It’s not like the fine for the coffee was really all that high either, considering it was just ONE day’s worth of coffee sales for the chain as a whole. For all people’s outrage and snark, it was peanuts to McDonald’s.

Fundamentally, McDonald’s was holding their coffee for service at a higher than safe temperature. You have to brew it at like 195 or something, but you should probably hold it at a much lower temp.

I’m not eating anything called sweat chili.

How about Chili Sweat?

It could sell side-by-side with Flamin’ Hot Cheetos Mountain Dew.

Huh. Turns out Ronald’s not a natural red head.

Perhaps I can finally use the correct words now. I have struggled with knowing which is which when it comes to beer/bear, week/weak, sweet/sweat. There are probably others too. Dumb people learn slowly. :confused: :frowning:

I just figured it was a typo.

The End Times have come.

I think most people have forgotten about the flimsy cups McDonald’s used to use back in those days. The solution wasn’t really the temperature but making cups that didn’t collapse when you squeezed them slightly.

Well, sure, because they keep changing his batteries.

Y’all weren’t subjected to The Wacky Adventures of Ronald McDonald? I can’t remember if you had to buy them or they just stuck the vhs tapes in the happy meals, but they were distributed exclusively at the restaurants. The music for the series was composed, believe it or not, by Bob and Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo fame. This song has been stuck in my head for at least 15 years:

My wife was a manager for a McD’s many years ago out of high school, and as I recall, somewhere in the late 2000’s they decided that their demographic was less kids than adults in a hurry. They dropped Ronald and friends and meanwhile, were slowly phasing out the high-maintenance playlands, if favor of faster drive-throughs, less seating, more work with breakfasts, and more adult menus. Also, less garish décor.

I suspect something similar has happened, especially, to icons like the animated characters who sold breakfast cereal - Snap, Crackle, Pop, Honey Bear and Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, Frankenberry, and all their ilk, probably faded away (except for occasional nostalgia re-runs) when commercials aimed at children were prohibited. Mister Clean still pops up from time to time, Looking (as the NYTimes describes him) like a character from Christopher Street.

The thing with cups - thin foam cups were the norm back then for everyone. They disappeared with the demise of styrofoam as a disposable material due to ozone concerns. I still wouldn’t try to squeeze any disposable cup full of hot beverage between my thighs while prying off the lid, even the stiff modern ones.

It was also animated by Klasky Csupo, who produced Rugrats, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, The Wild Thornberrys, Duckman, and the Tracey Ullman Simpsons shorts plus the first three seasons of the Simpsons.