Why did grids = high tech in the 80s?

I loved that show. About 6 months ago my mom was going through stuff in her garage and found some of my brothers and I old toys and in them were three MASK vehicles. Now my 6 year old nephew plays with them.

I had the Firebird-looking thing that a motorcycle dropped out of. It was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Oh my god, I was certain I’d be the only one who remembered M.A.S.K. That was the best 80s cartoon period.

This one!

Another example: check the end of this 1980 Datsun (Nissan) ad. Grid and a wire-frame car!

Except for the lead character’s totally kick-ass car-to-plane, which hybrid vehicle would you prefer?

Car-to-motorcycle
Motorcycle-to-helicopter
Jeep-to-boat
Annoying Robot-to-moped
Motorcycle-to-submarine
Helicopter-to-fighter jet
(There were also some stupid pickup-to-slightly taller pickup, big rig-to-rocket launcher vehicles that didn’t pass my stringent filter.)

I had all of them.

Sorry, I seem to have lost track of the thread subject…

Heh. I sent that MASK link to my husband, and I think it made his day.

Also, please remember that 70’s sci fi was all about hexagons.

All I know about MASK I learned from Robot Chicken. Seriously, I was too young for the show, though I did have a hand-me-down MASK lunchbox for some reason.

I loved those fucking toys. Loved them.

I remember not liking M.A.S.K. for some reason (I was right in the sweet spot age-group at the time), but I can’t remember why exactly. It was a hoot when I saw that episode of Robot Chicken where they made fun of M.A.S.K., I kinda felt like my youthful snooty-ness against it was justified.

Getting back to “grids”, don’t forgot that in Tron all the poor blue programs got sentenced to “the Game Grid” by Sark and the MCP.

I also remember that when arcade games “rebooted” (if you hit them just right or you unplugged them to clear the high score), the initial screen boot-up screen was often a grid.

From the comments:

“But think of it - an entire film, made just out of computer graphics. It’d be awesome, and perhaps in my lifetime such a thing will come to pass.”

I love how the computer grid effect is so clearly hand-drawn. Because, of course, hand drawn was cheap than having a computer do it.

I distinctly remember seeing the Battletech cartoon for the first time and thinking how amazing it was that the parts which were supposed to be computer graphics were actual computer graphics.

It was in the 90s, but Homer ended up in a 3D world one time with a grid.

I believe that was a testing diagnostic, to make sure the screen didn’t have any distortion issues or anything funky going on. If you see a grid made up of a bunch of squares, all is well. If any of them are squished, or bent, or whatever, it probably needs maintenance.

Because it implies super high tech three dimensionality in cinematographic and computer terms. A sort of cybernetic net of CGI. They were easy to make with early graphics programs, and really, what has enhanced the reality of cinema more in the last 30 years than CGI? CGI is the real three dimensionality of cinema, not the current 3-D optics fad. They were also often done in contrasting colors… my favorite computer graphic technique is to use shades of blue and red layers… sometimes in the purples to give depth and life to static objects (but that was more of a late 90’s graphic technique)

As kind of an aside, it’s easy to forget how fast CGI has advanced within the past decade and a half. (For me it is, anyway.) I was watching the first Toy Story last night and was startled at how washed out and artificial the skin tones looked (especially Woody’s) and how primitive and doll-like some of the human faces appeared.

One of the difficulties they had with Toy Story 3 was maintaining the appearance of all the toys and characters so it felt familiar, while still employing all the advances in art and technology they’d made in the intervening years.

You can sort of tell that young Andy, in the sequence at the start of TS3, looks somewhat different, yet still the same.