Why do American drivers do this? Are they purely short-sighted with no ability to think ahead?

When the light turns green, do you immediately get back up to speed, or do you “reverse coast” back up to speed?

Well, uqezig described the behavior as:

I’ll admit, I inferred that “go fast” meant driving at a speed at least a little faster than the speed limit, as most drivers seem to do at most times. Most of the responses seem to suggest that this is the normal and perhaps best way to drive.

I don’t “reverse coast.” I try to get where I’m going promptly but charging ahead to a red light and slamming on the brakes when I get there does nothing to get me where I’m going faster. It does waste gas and brakes so I think there’s a better way.

If that is the goal, all you need to do is change lanes so you’re not behind the coaster. There is no advantage in your getting to the red light ahead of the other car.

I see a lot of drivers that just don’t think ahead. People coming up really fast behind me that slam on the brakes at the last second and then start checking if they can change lanes. If they had planned ahead they could have changed lanes well before and without slowing down.

I have no idea how these people manage to function in life in general.

As to planning and stoplights: When I was in grad school on my way in there was a lengthy avenue with synchronized lights. Once I was thru the first one I rolled at the right speed and made the next and the next one, etc.

Sometimes there’d be a speed whiz next to me. They jam the gas and then jam the brake at the next light. I’d roll by them as the light changed. They’d zip by me and stop. I’d roll by them again. And on and on. Never saw one that adjusted their behavior.

All the lights around me have sensors. Coasting slowliy up to the light makes it stay red longer. The sooner you trip the sensor the sooner the light turns green. Or you can go slow and let another car pass you and trip the sensor. Make sure you thank them as they pass.

That, for sure. There’s also the fact that the ‘coasters’ are outside the norm and not doing what most people expect. As a motorcyclist, if I’m behind the coaster then I am in the squish zone if any following drivers don’t immediately clue-in to the coaster’s actions and intent. I won’t ride in that spot.

Generally, when riding, I view anyone not driving predictably or following the norms as a potential extreme hazard and I do whatever it takes to get away from them.

That’s true. But the advantage is if there are other cars in other lanes and you don’t want to be behind them.

Like I said, I don’t care about the coasting to a stop thing all that much, it’s cool since we are going to be stopping anyway. It’s when these same cars don’t get up to speed once the light turns green that annoys me. And it is usually the “coasters” who don’t get up to speed, that’s why I try to not be behind them.

When I’m bicycling, I’ve found that there are some spots where I can actually decrease my total trip time by slowing down. Like, when I’m leaving downtown: If I leave W. 3 when the light turns green, if I step on it, I can reach W. 6 before it changes… but I don’t. Because if I squeak through W. 6 like that, then I’ll just have to stop at W. 9, right before the bridge, and at the bottom of a hill. If, however, I let myself catch the W. 6 light red, then I can build up a lot of speed going down the hill, reach the W. 9 light just a little bit after it changes, and keep that speed going through, instead of having to accelerate while climbing the bridge.

Of course, as a cyclist, cars are going to be passing me no matter what I do.

I can’t speak for Shodan, but I do the same thing he does, and I accelerate rapidly - when the light turns green during my coast or if I stop and then the light turns green.

If the coasting car has been dawdling all the way, I can see the desire to get ahead. But if it has been going the speed limit or a bit more, then cramming in is being a jerk.
BTW though I coast this has never happened to me, since I don’t start coasting far enough away from the light to give anyone a chance to get in.

Great! I have no problems with this.

I have definitely seen this in Mexico, and altho I didnt notice in in Canada, i didnt notice the opposite (but yes, in general, Canadian drivers are a little nicer than American driver, in my experience- when they havent been drinking…*) So, it’s not just "American drivers’. How many nations are you comparing this to?

• Canadian drivers are even worse than Americans at this. :frowning:

I also don’t understand why people feel the need to keep inching forward. The guy at the light has stopped. Then he creeps forward a few inches, and everyone behind him does the same. I don’t see the point and don’t do it. Even if I’m second in line and the guy in front of me turns right on the red, I stay put.

The point is that if it is a short light, you spend time getting to the light that you already should have been at, maybe causing cars behind you to miss the light. I usually see this in left-hand turn lanes. Kind of annoying.

The coasters are blocking access to the left and right turn lanes. While y’all are only concerned with when YOUR light will turn green, you aren’t thinking of the people who need to turn left (and most left turn lights go green BEFORE the straight ahead lanes do) and you’re making it impossible for them to get into the lane and maybe make the green–so they have to wait another light cycle and if you jam up enough people who need to turn left then they’ll end up blocking the straight ahead lane because there are too many cars in the left turn lane waiting for that light. Same with the right turn, you’re blocking access for people who do not have to wait for your light but could be turning while you’re leisurely creeping up on the light. Just get to the light expeditiously so you don’t hang up the people behind you who aren’t going exactly where you are, thanks.

I am shocked to learn that slowing for the red light is unpredictably outside the norm. Do you drive in a Mad Max wasteland?

I would think that a person slowing for a red light is a good sign that he is paying attention. If I’m slowing in front of you, you begin slowing gently, and the guy behind you is also slowing down, you know what’s going to happen. If I’m slowing gently, you slow gently, and the guy behind you doesn’t slow at all, you have more time to react to the growing danger behind you than if I had stopped suddenly. I would also think that the worst case scenario is a guy in front of you slamming on his brakes to stop for the red light at the last possible second and the guy behind you, who you assume is also going to slam on his brakes at the last second, does not notice the light or the stopped car and crushes you to death. If everyone is stopping suddenly at the last moment, you have the minimum time to react to danger.

The lights around here are overwhelmingly timed to promote flow through the adjacent intersections. If I dealt with intersections like yours, I would adjust my strategy accordingly but it would probably take a while for me to learn the best speed to approach the intersection.

Here is your answer. :slight_smile:

This makes sense but it’s only a problem at the relatively small number of intersections that have (1) a left turn lane, (2) whose arrow doesn’t change at the same time as the green light for straight traffic, and (3) which has enough traffic to make the turn lanes hard to enter. It sounds like this describes your bugaboo intersection but I don’t run into this a lot.

In my experience, the biggest problem getting into the turn lanes are people who stop 40 feet from the car in front of them. It only takes a few of those people to block all access to a short turn lane.

Indeed. That, and (previously-mentioned) preventing others from getting through the current light. It’s incredibly rude for slowpokes at the front of the line to make people at the back of the line wait an extra cycle.

If traffic is light, do whatever you want. But when it’s dense, please don’t take a red light at the next intersection as an indication that you can take your sweet time.

Also, for left turn lanes specifically–if you’re in the leftmost through lane, please squeeze as close to the car in front of you as you can. There may be someone wanting to turn left that can’t because people have left car-length gaps and the turn lane entrance is now blocked.

If you don’t know the timing of the light you could be wasting gas. Your losing all your momentum and if the light turns green before you get there then you have to accelerate again.

Since the driver behind you doesn’t know that you are driving slowly to conserve gas instead of because you are an inconsiderate fool then he’s likely to assume he ought to get ahead of you while he can in case the latter is the reason.

^ That gets my vote.