Why do Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

August 8th. My birthday. :slight_smile:

Cinco de Drinko, man, Cinco de Drinko.

Explained in the links provided.

California, which, by the way, once was Mexico (and so was Texas), had a bunch of Mexicans who celebrated over the victory of the Mexican army at Puebla over the French Army. This started the holiday tradition in California.

As the Mexican American pride movements began to spread in the 1940s and 1950s, it became a way for Mexican Americans to connect with the heritage from Mexico while having a connection to US history as well. The implication that the French would have used Mexico as a base to aid the Confederates is widespread, if perhaps not accurate. At any rate, Cinco de Mayo took off in America because it spread from the Californian Mexican community. It became popular first in areas with large Mexican heritage populations, like Houston.

Then in the late 1980s and early 1990s, beer distributors got in on the act as a way to promote Mexican beer (read Corona). That pushed the holiday from Mexican American heritage to a popular drinking holiday, just like St. Patrick’s Day or Octoberfest. In fact, according to the links provided, it actually outsells those other two days for beer sales.

I don’t think you’re going to get that by only catering to Mexican Americans. That takes mainstream recognition - of the excuse to party, anyway.

You must not watch The Tonight Show. Jimmy Fallon mentioned it in his monologue, and all the partying. They even sent a “reporter” down to the street to “interview” people. All the people they talked to were white, some of them slipping in comments about partying.

And, as I mentioned, some of these places were once Mexico, so there’s that.

I don’t particularly celebrate it, because I don’t go partying and drinking to get drunk.

The idea of avoiding it because you aren’t Mexican is kinda silly. It’s not just for celebrating being Mexican, but exploring and celebrating other cultures that you aren’t a part of. Or at least it can be. That’s why there are things like a Greek Festival or International Festival sponsored, for instance, in Houston. Go and find out, or go and enjoy the cuisine and culture.

Or stay home and sit on the couch, like me.

No, I think they were aiming for Seis de Mayo, unless they wanted to have an orgy in Hellman’s.