Straight Dope 5/19/2023: What are people celebrating on Cinco de Mayo?

Why do people celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

They’re not doing it because it’s the Mexican Fourth of July, as you may already know, since U.S. news media have made it their mission in recent years to dispel this common misconception. (Mexico celebrates its independence on September 16.) As for what is being celebrated … well, the short answer is that Cinco de Mayo is a demonstration of one of the great truths of our time: you can make a holiday out of anything if you throw in enough beer.

The long answer – or at any rate the long answers commonly offered – are more mystifying. The same news accounts clarifying that Cinco de Mayo isn’t celebrating Mexican independence go on to explain that what’s actually being commemorated is the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, in which outnumbered Mexican forces defeated an invading French army. What they don’t get into is why anyone should care about this. The battle wasn’t decisive and isn’t widely celebrated in Mexico now. Cinco de Mayo is a major holiday only in the U.S.

How did this come to be? Even Mexican-Americans have a hard time explaining it. You can’t pin the whole thing on the beer industry – Cinco de Mayo had evolved from a remembrance of an obscure military victory into an American celebration of Mexican heritage long before the holiday became Drinko de Mayo. But that’s like saying birds evolved from dinosaurs – one wants some idea of the intervening steps.

There are lots of intervening steps – we’ll get to that. But the bottom line is this. There’s a perfectly logical reason for Mexican-Americans, and for that matter all Americans, to remember the Battle of Puebla: it marks a time when the U.S. and Mexico stood together to fight for democracy and human rights. A tough message to fit into a beer commercial, you say? Baloney, it’d make a great beer commercial. It has this going for it: it makes a great story, it deserves to be better told, and it’s basically the truth.

I base the account below largely on El Cinco de Mayo: An American Tradition (2012) by David Hayes-Bautista, a professor of medicine and director of UCLA’s Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture. Hayes-Bautista provides exhaustive detail about the origins of Cinco de Mayo, but – meaning no disrespect – he’s not as aggressive as he might be about connecting the dots. So let’s take a stab: Mexico’s surprise victory at Puebla on Cinco de Mayo stalled French imperialist ambitions long enough for the U.S. to win the Civil War, end slavery, and rid the New World of colonialism once and for all.

OK, I’m dancing over a lot of nuance there. A thorough treatment would take a book, but let’s run through the high points:

• Following the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, which settled the Mexican-American War and ceded the Pacific coast to the U.S., the Spanish-speaking inhabitants of the region suddenly find themselves U.S. citizens. Freaked out at the prospect of being pushed aside by slave-holding Anglos, they help write the California state constitution, which outlaws slavery and requires that government acts be published in both English and Spanish.

• Latinos form more than a hundred juntas patrióticas mejicanas (Mexican patriotic associations) totaling almost 14,000 members throughout California and in Oregon and Nevada. Working closely with the region’s Spanish-language newspapers, the juntas are the voice of the Mexican-American community and organize events and activities. In other words, they’re not the helpless victims they’re sometimes portrayed to be, but are organized and get stuff done.

• In 1861, French emperor Louis Napoleon III sends troops to Mexico, ostensibly to prevent the Mexican government from postponing debt payments. In reality, he wants to establish a puppet empire in the Americas with the connivance of Mexican monarchists while the U.S. has its hands full fighting the Civil War. According to Hayes-Bautista, Napoleon III toys with an alliance with the Confederacy, the better to check U.S. expansion and create opportunities for France.

• Most U.S. Latinos want France gone and the Confederacy defeated. Among other provocations, military adventurers called filibusters, mostly from slave states, had organized freelance expeditions to Latin American countries during the 1850s to stir up insurrection and, in some cases, establish pro-slavery regimes.

• The French expeditionary force heads for Mexico City but first has to get past fortifications near the town of Puebla. Figuring the Mexicans will be pushovers, the French foolishly attempt a frontal assault. Bad idea. They suffer horrific casualties and flee. Jubilant, Mexican president Benito Juarez declares Cinco de Mayo a national holiday. The following year, a junta patriótica in Los Angeles organizes the first official U.S. Cinco de Mayo celebration, independent of the Mexican one. It goes over big and soon juntas all over California are organizing their own celebrations.

• For Mexico, the military situation goes downhill after 1862. The French regroup, defeat Mexican forces at the Second Battle of Puebla a year after the first one, and capture Mexico City, where they install Maximillian I as emperor. The Juarez government doesn’t surrender and keeps up a guerilla struggle.

• The Confederacy after much exertion having been dispatched, the U.S. turns its attention to Mexico and tells the French to beat it. They do. The Maximillian government collapses.

• The Cinco de Mayo celebration in Mexico peters out in the early twentieth century for reasons I won’t get into. The American version turns into a celebration of Mexican culture and takes on a life of its own, with parades, pageantry, music, etc. The old juntas patrióticas are long gone and nobody remembers why the Battle of Puebla was so important, but something always comes along to breathe new life into the tradition. Example: Chicano activists in the 1960s like the idea of struggling against imperialism. Upshot: Cinco de Mayo never gets old.

• It’s the 1980s and the beer industry discovers the Latino market. A beer festival in early May with a catchy name turns out to be an easy sell – who knew? Soon Cinco de Mayo has turned into the Mexican St. Patrick’s Day. Showing the class and sensitivity for which it has long been known, the U.S. marketing industry cranks out numerous cringeworthy promotions involving sombreros, mariachi bands, and busty women with come-hither looks. Progressive academics fulminate about cultural appropriation, commoditized racism, and similar matters. On the other hand, Mexican restaurants, most of which based on your columnist’s extensive research in Chicago are owned and operated by Mexican-Americans, do outstanding business on Cinco de Mayo, so you can’t say it’s been all bad.

• Still, one does have the nagging problem that nobody, including Mexican-Americans, really knows why we’re celebrating an obscure battle – a lost opportunity in my book. More might be done to improve this narrative. Some claim Mexico, by defeating the invaders at Puebla and keeping up the fight for years afterward, prevented the French from allying themselves with the Confederacy and thereby enabled the Union to prevail. That’s debatable, but who’s to say? Fact is, dark forces had designs on both Mexico and the U.S., and they all came to nothing because the Mexicans fought back, most conspicuously on the Cinco de Mayo. This is a matter of which Mexican-Americans can be justly proud, and for which all other Americans, or anyway this American, would be happy to raise a glass in grateful solidarity. OK, it’s still Mexican Beer Drinking Day, but it gives one occasion to reflect, and don’t we all need more opportunities to do that?

– CECIL ADAMS

After some time off to recharge, Cecil Adams is back! The Master can answer any question. Post questions or topics for investigation in the Cecil’s Columns forum on the Straight Dope Message Board, boards.straightdope.com/.

Maybe because I grew up in Southern California, but I remember Cinco de Mayo being as big a deal as St. Patrick’s Day well before the 1980s. In the '60s and '70s teachers would have us making paper sombreros to wear while we ate crappy American tacos in the cafeteria.

Today, I celebrate May 5 because it marks 364 days before Star Wars fans get really obnoxious again.

I’d be interested in that part, too. I can understand it may be too complicated for the official article, but the differences in Mexico that led to it falling out of favor definitely intrigues me.

That part interests me as well! Mexican history in the early 20th century is complicated and there could be many reasons for Cinco de Mayo celebrations being sidelined.

I lived in Mexico for several years and don’t remember hearing Cinco de Mayo mentioned. September 16, on the other hand, is big.

I think it is dependant on what part of the country. I lived in Puebla for a year, and Cinco de Mayo was a fairly big deal, though nowhwere near as big as Independence Day.

Yes, Puebla would be Ground Zero for Cinco de Mayo. I lived in Mexico City.

I believe outside of Puebla, it is not considered a major holiday in Mexico. Puebla has a parade with people dressed up as soldiers, then they eat poblano. They pay it little mind elsewhere, though Mexicans have no shortage of other holidays and fiestas. Many Canadians are far more likely to drink on St. Patrick’s Day, it isn’t nearly a big deal here as it is in parts of the United States.

This is so much worse than pretending to be Irish as an excuse to get drunk of St. Patrick’s Day. That holiday is based on an rich Englishman who didn’t drive the snakes out of Ireland, not some minor battle for freedom in a time and place that would be fictional if they didn’t exist.

In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo became associated with Porfirio Diaz, who had been a general during the first battle of Puebla and went on to become president and then dictator of Mexico. After Diaz was forced out of office in 1911, the holiday fell out of favor in most of Mexico and is celebrated in only a few places now. The American celebration of Cinco de Mayo wasn’t associated with Diaz and was unaffected by his departure. Since the column was about the American celebration and was already long, I decided the Diaz angle was something I needn’t get into.

An apt comparison. Like Cinco de Mayo, folks of that actual heritage do a lot to celebrate our actual culture on that day, while mainstream America just looks on it as an excuse to drink.

So, a logical follow-on to the column: What is the Mexican “Fourth of July”? Not necessarily an Independence Day specifically, but what’s the primary Mexican patriotic holiday? I know that there are a lot of holidays celebrated more in Mexico than elsewhere, such as the Feast of the Lady of Guadalupe, but I don’t think that’s regarded as particularly patriotic.

Easy. Independence Day, Sept. 16, is the big day, with a presidential reenactment of patriot Miguel Hidalgo’s “Grito de Dolores”, his call to independence from the town of Dolores, AKA “El Grito de Independencia” (The Independence Cry):
Cry of Dolores - Wikipedia
“The Cry of Dolores has assumed an almost mythical status.[8][9] Since the late 20th century, the event has come to symbolize Mexican independence and to initiate Independence Day ceremonies the following day (16 September). Independence Day in Mexico is a patriotic holiday, marked by parades, concerts, patriotic programs, drum and bugle and marching band competitions, and special programs on the national and local media outlets.[10]

How to Celebrate Mexico’s Independence Day: Grito de Dolores (iexplore.com)
“Similar to America’s Independence Day celebrations, there are block parties and firework displays around Mexico. The government is super-involved, running reenactments of important points in the war, much like how Americans tend to remember the Civil War. Spectators descend upon the nation’s capital in Mexico City to participate in the festivities, but the whole country is decorated with the flag’s colors of red, green and white. It’s Mexico’s biggest party and the best way to end summer. Street fairs and family gatherings mean the beaches are packed with people soaking in the rays and tossing one back. The pride is so apparent and people are so hyped a lot of the celebrations begin at midnight on the 15th because communities can’t stand to wait any longer. That’s what we call a fiesta worth seeing.”

…Which appears to be unconnected (being over a decade prior to) the Independence Day celebrated on 15 September, by Mexico’s neighbors Costa Rica, El Salvator, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. But probably related to Chile’s independence two days later.

Do any countries use the Fourth of July as an excuse to celebrate and drink American style?

I’ve celebrated the 4th overseas on many occasions and my hosts inevitably serve turkey and pumpkin pie.

Heh. When I was in grad school, I hung out with the international students, and usually did Thanksgiving with them. They all knew that it was a holiday about eating way too much, and that turkey was the traditional main course, but none of them knew about the pie. Everyone just brought whatever the traditional feast dish was in their culture; it was great.

I’ve also been to Fourth of July celebrations where the Americans were outnumbered. One Brit said they referred to it as “Good Riddance Day”.

That should be celebrated on September 3rd, since it took a few years for “good riddance” to sink in completely.

I used to work for a British guy who said he observed July 4th in the tradition of his ancestors: hiding behind a barricaded door with a loaded musket.

That sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving, actually.

I’ve always felt like Cinco De Mayo has morphed into a general celebration of Mexico/Mexican culture, as it’s interpreted in the US. I feel like the execution is kind of strange and leaves a lot to be desired but the sentiment is genuine, and it’s a good starting point for some actual learning to go on in the future.

I also suspect that Cinco De Mayo is so popular because the weather’s typically pretty good and it, along with St. Patrick’s Day are two of the first big party weekends on the calendar. If it was the Cinco de Febrero or the Cinco de Agosto, I doubt it would have nearly such popularity.

Well, I didn’t know that… Of course my excuse is that I’m Salvadoran-American. What Salvadorans and Mexicans agree is with our dislike of Guatemalans… /jkn

I have to say that was a very good column @Cecil_Adams .