Why do christians display commandments, not beatitudes?

Quite true. One of my friends is very christian and he doesn’t want religion and government mixed either. I mentioned atheists because it was the group mentioned earlier.

The supreme court has made boneheaded decisions before Metacom. I happen to believe this is one of them.

Mixing church and state compromises the strength and integrity of both of them.

I think you misread the opinions.

Just to make sure we’re on the same page here, do you know what the opinions are? There were two–one ruling that the commandments shouldn’t be displayed conspicuously in a courtroom and another that allowed a granite monument to the ten commandments to remain at the Texas state capitol.

Ah. Like a lot of legends, it’s half-true: CBD seized on an existing initiative of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Still. Goes to show how Americans can be ignorant of history (especially contemporary but non-recent history). And how political movements can capitalize on that ignorance.

I read both of the cites that Scott Plaid linked to. The FOE campaign of distributing copies of the 10C did precede DeMille’s entry into it. However, neither story talked about monuments until DeMille got involved.

I may indeed be wrong, but those news stories do not speak of the Eagles’ copies of the 10C in the same part as the 200 monuments mentioned at the end. Were the Eagles handing out stone monuments before the movie, or just paper copies? It isn’t clear from those sources.

IIRC, they ruled that monuments could stay if they were of historical value.

Yes, but the distinguishing feature was not that it was at a state capitol vs. a courtroom. Just any decalogue monument at a state capitol is not necessarily going to be ok because it’s at the state capitol.

Right, but it’s still possible to have a monument to the ten commandments on government land and for it to be allowed under the constitution. So that doesn’t really change my question.

What really makes it funny is, DeMille was noted for using Christian themes to get as much kinky sex into his movies as possible. His “Sign of the Cross” contains nudity (a milk bath) lesbianism, bestiality, more nudity (stripper Sally Rand attacked by alligators) and a swordfight between a group of Amazon women and midgets.

Yeah, that’s the Bible alrighty.

I wish more Christians would concentrate on what Jesus said and did and try to follow his example instead of being so judgmental all the time.

Was that deliberately ironic? It made me laugh.

Who wants to read about cheesemakers all the time?

What makes you think Jesus wasn’t judgmental? He was harsh on sin, and he even condemned the Pharisees as “a brood of vipers.”

True, he did say “Judge not, lest ye be judged”; however, people frequently take that verse out of context. Jesus was condemning hypocrisy, not moral judgment per se. (In fact, the statement “You shouldn’t judge people!” is itself a moral judgment, and therefore, self-refuting.)

I think he was referring to dairy producers in general.

When I was at college (at a small ecumenical christian school) our religion professor gave us lots of verbal beat-downs for not knowing the Beatitudes and the Sermon on the Mount, because according to him it was the best and most important summary of all Jesus’ teaching.

We all meekly memorised them.
I’m far more likely to put up the Beatitudes than the Commandments. Actually, I have (looks around living room) one visible rosary, a St. Francis cross icon, and two calligraphed prayers, one by St. Teresa of Avila and one by Julian of Norwich. Huh.

Y’know - when you title it like that, all I can visualize is a theater poster showing a side-on photo of Jesus, Peter, James & John walking across Abbey Road.