Why do hotels put chocolates on your pillow?

Why? What did those flowers ever do to you? :dubious:

That’s my question, what did the poor flowers do to deserve being murdered? Speaking of “don’t hate me 'cos I’m pretty”… :smack:

I’ve seen other things besides chocolate left on hotel pillows in luxury hotels - a clever piece of origami or a little doll - stuff like that. Cookies are another fairly common variation. It’s a nice little pampering touch.

Fruit in the room is common in Asia (perhaps elsewhere as well - I wouldn’t know) but while that can be very nice I hate it when they include guava, which to me has a very strong odor a lot like feline urine. Before I got used to the fact that SE Asian hotels often include guava in their fruit plate, I would enter a room and exclaim “OH GAWD A CAT PISSED IN HERE.” Now I just go looking for the guava so I can get rid of it.

“I’m waiting with bated breath.”

That’s exactly what the Naga Sirens say in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

I wonder it that was a reference or just a coincidence.

I just wonder if you should be hating the flowers or the act of giving flowers :).

Possibly a standard English phrase.

I’m also pretty sure the nagas say ‘baited’, what with the whole fish thing, and Warcraft’s penchant for puns.

Some things are best left as an exercise for the reader. But for ummm… afterwards. Possibly to avoid having guests spit a mouthful of water at the bathroom mirror. Although I suspect that only happens when cameras are rolling.

Every room… but this one in particular? Huh? :confused:

No, that’s not what the chocolate is for.

Around here (Switzerland), a “Bettmümpfeli” is a little treat kids get just before they have to brush their teeth and go to bed, probably as a kind of bedtime ritual to make bedtime something they look forwards to rather than something to put up a fight about.

I have always seen the chocolate on hotel pillows as a “Bettmümpfeli”.

I remember it as Betthuepferl" in Swabia.

Yes.

Since no one has answered this - and since I don’t particularly believe the Cary Grant story - here is a stab. The chocolate is left just after the bed has been turned down for night time. The pillow is guaranteed to be clear. The guest might have stuff in just about any other place in the room except the pillow, so if a small chocolate is left on the desk it might get lost. And I can’t imagine someone not seeing it.

I bring mine home to my wife.

One possible answer not mentioned yet: perhaps the chocolate on the pillow is the hotel’s way of wishing you “sweet” dreams.

The chocolate square is always of the type that melts easily. Get the hint…no…ok i will explain.

Some guests prefer to use melted chocolate as an aid in oral sex. This is the hotels way of helping you along.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Wow, that’s not the kind of hotel where I’ve seen the chocolate.

Nansbread, if you need an “aid” for that I think you might be doing it wrong?

Where are all you people finding this chocolate? I regularly go to a Best Western/Red Lion kinda place a couple of times a year, and have never seen them. So is it a luxury hotel/regional/traditional kind of thing?

Must admit the hotels I currently frequent don’t do it (Holiday Inn, Mantra, Oaks), but I have seen it.