(Why) do hunters wear camouflage?

I agree with you esp for deer. In the old days, very few of us hunters, bow hunters, wore comoflage clothing. we just wore dark colors so as not to stand out. deer are color blind…

Camoflage does break up your outline and it helps, but it is not necessary because I was a successful deer bow hunter, shooting deer up close, before camoflage became so available to most people.

Deer have no memory and cannot tell what a human is if he makes no noise and does not move. I have had deer walk by me within 20 feet, without them knowing what I was. I walked up to deer simply by moving only when their head is down, and then the deer could not remember that the last time he looked I was 3 feet farther away.

There are all sorts of gimmicks that people try to sell you, I just saw a snowball maker at Dicks. I guess kids today can not make snowballs without a snowball maker anymore.

However, on the other hand, I find that ducks can tell I am a human from pretty far away, even if I am not moving. The only way to hunt ducks is to comoflage because other wise they will see you and know what you are even if you wear green and even if you do not move.

Don’t laugh (OK - go ahead and laugh) but the one thing I won’t carry into the woods in deer season unless it’s camo or olive drab ----- toilet paper. When a deer gets ready to run, the tail shoots up showing the white underside. Some yahoos who shoot at the slightest provocation see any flash of white in the brush and they set out to empty that pump action 06 as fast as they can. Since you are going to have to sooner or later if you hunt enough ------ it just seems like a bad time to be mistaken for game.

To the best of my knowledge it has only happened once in PA with serious result and a handfull of close calls in 30some years. But I know what my luck is like so ----------

First thing, all hunting/fishing accessories first have to catch hunters/fishermen.

Second, the dawning of your dedicated, camo gear puts you in the right frame of mind. It’s like a suit that you’d wear for work, but more appropriate for hunting.

For me, it’s not about the wearing of camo, but more that my hunting gear is dedicated to that, washed in scent free/scent reducing detergent, and stored in a plastic tub. It also has the pockets & features that I’m looking for. I did buy my blaze orange jacket with the breakup camo pattern, as I don’t see how it can hurt to break up all that expanse of solid color… I needed a new one, that could be taken apart into layers, and mine was on sale, with appropriate pockets.

For some hunting, it’s very important, for other hunting, not so much. But why have multiple types of clothing for all of the different hunting? (waterproofness/temperature requirements aside)

It’s so they blend in with the bush.