Why do I want America to burn?

In the real world, I’m on the path to success, but I’ve noticed in my political stance that I want the person most likely to ruin this country (USA) to win (Trump). What is up with me? It feels as though I would do better with America burning up (not literally, of course, for some of you guys in California, I feel for you). Part of me wants redemption for the crappy childhood I had (course I really don’t care about it), part of me thinks the system needs a reboot, and part of me wants to profit out of chaos. I have no clue.

That’s just my conscience in depth, though. In reality, I just want to make money, buy a house and a car and live by myself in personal luxury, achievable thanks to a government program (and now I have one more certificate (Security+) to get before I start working full time). Because I pulled away from student loans (I was only paying in grant money for college, when I was there), I should be in great shape, especially at my current age (21 and 10 months).

Though I swear my conscience isn’t right. Maybe I’m just eccentric? Or just paranoid? Or maybe I am just very tactical? What do you guys think?

I’m guessing that, more than anything, it’s simply your age (21 years). That’s when most of us have a burning (ahem) ambition to help change the world somehow, but haven’t yet figured out our particular role in how the world evolves – so, we entertain radical notions of various sorts that will later seem to us as naive and/or selfish (especially once we have kids or others who partly depend on our wellbeing and/or the stability of society).

As you get older and learn more, you start to understand how densely complex some of these problems are and how no leader can just wave a magic wand and start over. I would suggest you try studying history of places that have tried to “reboot” their system of government. In the vast majority of attempts, it just results in mass chaos, disorganized violence, and civil war.

Maybe if you explained a specific policy objection it would be easier to diagnose the problem.

In addition, as you get older you start to be able to do better risk analysis (if you are getting a security + credential - start working on it). Profiting from chaos is hard - and at 21 you probably aren’t well positioned to do it. You don’t have sufficient capital. You don’t have the proper contacts. You don’t have the right experiences. You are more likely to make life a lot worse for you for a lot longer than you are to profit. From where you are now, you’d need a lot of luck to end up on the profit end of chaos.

I had an outlook much like you when I was 21. I read Atlas Shrugged and found it a moral tour de force, appealing to a young man who felt like he had a decent shot at a bright future if only we had a better economic system that rewarded effort, a system that promised achievers justly distributed wealth via the magic of the free market without bothering my conscience with troubling notions of hereditary privilege or systemic racism, and a rhetorical style that encouraged long, rambling, run-on sentences. I became a Libertarian and thought no more about the matter.

Then I experienced my first reversal of fortune in life, and it appeared to me that this philosophy was fairly flawed and many of the people who embraced it were unapologetic assholes.

The big strain of commonality is when we are young and see the world before us, we’re much more willing to scrap systems and institutions that seem to favor everyone else and give us a better starting position. Someone else’s savings and life work may burn, but what does that mean to someone who doesn’t have any? Someone else’s economic lifeline may snap, but what does that mean to someone who hasn’t felt that?

The only difference is that the less privileged classes are more receptive to radical leftism, while the more privileged classes are more receptive to neoliberalism (that’s what the rest of the world calls the craziness that the US calls “conservatism”). Note that being white is a privileged class. Whether your own personal circumstances were privileged or not, a white person with no assets has more advantages than a non-white person starting with no assets. The only difference is the latter is aware of this fact, while the former sees himself as simply extraordinarily skilled and motivated to have such a great start in life.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”

I guess try to connect with people you can like/love/respect/care about. I think lack of healthy social connection is a pervasive problem for Americans especially.

That one was so good, I had to look up the source - John Rogers - screenwriter,