[QUOTE=Polerius]
I think the above may help explain the higher gun murder rate in the US, but it does not explain the higher wacko-shooting-spree rate.
[/QUOTE]
I think it explains it fine. Our wacko’s have access to guns…most other countries wacko’s (the ones who aren’t terrorists) don’t, so have to make do with more pedestrian means. So…they have to be more creative, or are just frustrated wacko’s, while ours, due to a variety of factors (copy catting, availability of weapons, etc) many times turn to a gun. Seems cut and dried to me.
[QUOTE=Polerius]
The higher ethnic diversity and poverty does not play much of a role. From what I recall, wacko shooting sprees are often committed by white suburbanites who are not particularly poor.
[/QUOTE]
In overall violence…or maybe I should say tension…it plays a role. In the kind of shootings we see in the OP, no. You are right (IMHO)…it doesn’t really factor in, except maybe in the background tension that finally made the person or persons snap.
[QUOTE=Polerius]
And the high availability of guns, while an important factor, does not fully explain the above phenomenon. I would assume that a psycho in any country who gets it into his head to do such a thing can find a way to get a gun, if even a simple hunting rifle.
[/QUOTE]
And we see that it DOES happen in other countries. But getting weapons is more difficult in other countries than you seem to acknowledge. In some its virtually impossible to obtain a weapon (legally). Here its relatively easy…which is the case being made by the anti-gun crowd for yet more controls. My understanding though that the gun used in this shooting was illegal (i.e. it was unregistered with the s/n filed off) already. I could be wrong about that…I haven’t kept up with current events on the case as it was seriously bumming me out to read about it…when it wasn’t setting me off to see all the anti-gun crowd litterally pour out of the wood work (from all over the world) to use this event to make political hay.
And yet…this shooter wasn’t a native born American. How does that factor into your theory wrt number 2?
Certainly I think that loner or outcast types are central to this kind of horrible shooting. I just don’t think that US has an exclusive license on the manufacture of such individuals…or even a majority. The factors that have made such things possible in the US is simply availability of weapons to the average citizen, large population (thus more probability of SOMEONE out there snapping sometime), and maybe the sensationalism of past episodes like this (copy catting). Thats all the deeper you need to go IMHO. I don’t think that US culture manufactures these things, that video games are the cause, that its America’s diet of movie/tv violence that is the key, etc etc, blah blah blah.
The rub here, IMHO, is that while these things ARE sensational and tragic, they really don’t happen all that frequently. Think about it. How many people have been killed in all the mass slayings in the country like the VT event through history? Take a wild guess (I don’t know either off the top of my head btw). Pick a number. Then go look it up. I’m guessing that most people will guess high. My own guess is…under 500 people have died in mass slayings like this throughout American history.
That SEEMS like a large figure. But even if it were 10 times that amount, its less than die world wide yearly simply mining coal for our power. Or in motor boating accidents if my earlier cite was accurate. Or falling off ladders yearly in the US. And its orders of magnitude behind some of the REAL yearly killers in this country.
Even coupled with our higher than world average crime rate, and with our higher than world average murder rate (by .01 per 1000 btw) it doesn’t seem (to ME) to be too high a price for our society to pay for a right granted to and held by us for over 200 years now. Especially since it seems that those rates (at least the murder rate) are going down already…WITHOUT massive gun control, and WITHOUT banning handguns.
-XT