[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole]
For some reason my PC locks when I try to open your linked PDF file so I cannot read it.
Of those 108,000 how many were police?
[/Quote]
None. I’ve no idea about police statistics, just civilian.
[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole]
In how many of those was the gun the only thing preventing whatever it was the person was defending themself against (could they have run, used baseball bat, punched the aggressor, maced them, cried for help, etc.)?
[/QUOTE]
No clue. In fact, there isn’t a breakdown of how many times a gun was actually fired in that statistic; only that one was drawn in defense of self or property. There’s probably a fair number of criminals who retreat once the gun is brandished, but relying on a gun as a deterrent is dangerous, and not something I’m willing to do. If I feel threatened enough to draw, I’ve already decided to pull the trigger. If the thug turned tail immediately and ran, I wouldn’t shoot him in the back, mind you.
I do agree that a gun should be the last line of defense, but I also know how fast a determined person can rush me and overpower me, even if I have a baseball bat. When I took my Concealed Handgun License class, it was demonstrated to us exactly how fast a person can cover 20 feet and knock you on your tail.
[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole]
Somehow people in other countries where guns are illegal manage just fine and are not overrun by marauding bad guys. Most people I know do not own a gun (illegal in my city) and manage fine.
[/Quote]
Likewise, most people I know own guns and there’s no blood running through the streets. If one compares, say, California to Texas, it’s pretty interesting. Both big states with big populations, but radically different gun laws. Here, we can get a license to carry on our person, own standard-capacity magazines as well as just about any semi-automatic weapon, carry a gun in our vehicle without a license, we’ll have Castle Doctrine as of September 1, etc. California has very strict gun laws (admittedly I’m not as familiar with them as I am with my own state’s). If guns and the gun culture was the problem, Texas would have MUCH higher crime rates, no?
2005 numbers from here
Population:
California - 36,132,147
Texas - 22,859,968
Violent Crimes:
California - 190,178
Texas - 121,091
Property Crimes:
California - 1,200,532
Texas - 990,293
Murder:
California - 2,503
Texas - 1,407
Forcible Rape:
California - 9,392
Texas - 8,511
Robbery:
California - 63,622
Texas - 35,790
Aggravated Assault:
California - 114,661
Texas - 75,383
So I’m just as safe (if not safer) in the “gun crazy” state of Texas as I am in California, which has gun laws far more stringent than Texas. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that I feel just as safe as you do; I’m surrounded by guns and you’re not, so apparently the guns themselves aren’t the problem.
[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole]
Fine but in 1994 for your 108,000 defensive uses guns accounted for 17,866 homicides. That does not even count injuries or accidents. Just flat out dead people. So at what price are you buying your “safety”? As mentioned how many of those 108,000 defensive uses would have resulted in a bad outcome had they not had a gun? Certainly some but all of them? Doubtful.
And counting the number of guns not involved in crimes is a dubious number. So what if there were a billion out there? If someone is going to shoot someone they will use one gun even if they have 100 at home (I suppose a few might carry more than one but you get my drift).
[/QUOTE]
Like I said earlier, I have no idea how many of those 108,000 uses actually involved pulling the trigger at all.
If XXX number of people were shot and killed while breaking into people’s homes, I’m fine with whatever number XXX represents. Likewise if they’re shot while trying to rape, assault, or any other crime that the law deems justifiable for deadly force. There’s more men that need killin’ than horses need stealin’.
Accidental deaths, of ALL types, are tragic. But why do we hold the accidental gun deaths to a different standard? In every single case, a gun safe was either left open or not used at all, a gun lock was not secured, proper storage was not maintained. But, for me, an accidental gun death is no different than an accidental pool death. There are people dead that shouldn’t be. I’m not calling to ban swimming pools because kids fall into them and drown. Likewise cars and everything else.
[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole]
So at what price are you buying your “safety”?
[/QUOTE]
Cars and swimming pools. At what price are we buying our convenience?
[Quote=Whack-a-Mole]
And counting the number of guns not involved in crimes is a dubious number. So what if there were a billion out there? If someone is going to shoot someone they will use one gun even if they have 100 at home (I suppose a few might carry more than one but you get my drift).
[/QUOTE]
Okay, how about this. Let’s say there are 18,000 firearm deaths per year. For simplicity, we’ll say that’s 18,000 firearm owners that somehow caused a death.
Today, 49.3 firearm owners caused a death.
Today, 64,999,950.7 firearm owners did not cause a death.
That’s a pretty stark comparison. We probably have some vaccines that kill at a higher ratio than that, but are still FDA approved.
Anyway, Whack-a-Mole, I like you. I’m not trying to call you out or anything. I understand that you have your views, and those views will likely not change. At the end of the day, I see gun ownership as my constitutional right. Revoking it, or limiting it, is the same to me as revoking the right to have this discussion. It’s my sincere belief that the 2nd Ammendment is the only one that guarantees the rest of them. I wish everyone agreed with me, but I know that’s unrealistic.
Respectfully yours,
BT