Why do medieval drawings look the way they do?

Hugh Despenser, 1st Lord Despenser

That does look like his cock, but it’s really just an illusion formed by the streak of blood down his thigh. You can see if you look closely that it’s not actually a long penis hanging down.

Here’s the wiki link:

but according to wiki the painting was not done by Froissart but by Loiset Lyédet in the 1470s to accompany writings by Froissart.

Just in case the fire doesn’t kill you, we’re gonna pull out a few feet of your intestine, too.

As a matter of fact, that’s already been removed:

The use of the word “miniatures” makes me wonder how big this and similar painting were. Small size limits the detail an artist can include for things like faces.

Not to mention: does he have a stick up his perineum or is he really HUNG? (I don’t think that’s quite what they meant by “hanged, drawn and quartered” ;)).

(on preview, I see I’m not the first one to make this observation).

I like this part from the link:

Unlikely?

‘Miniature’ in a manuscript has nothing necessarily to do with the size. The modern meaning actually derives from this use, since they weren’t as large as a painting but still could fill a page.

This page shows it with a little bit more of the page around it, although at a truly tiny size.

That was my favorite part too.

ETA
I should have previewed. This part: " it is unlikely that a similar practice would win the approbation of the British public today."

Forgot to mention the actual size dimensions - per Wikipedia, this manuscript is ~44x33 cm in size; this one looks about half that size.

Compare this work by a contemporary of Liedet’s - do the faces look poorly done there?

Damn, you’re right. And I was mentally changing his name to “Huge Dispenser.”

Some of them, a bit; others, not so much (e.g. the guy in the blue robe on the right). The human forms are still awkward and the perspective still shaky, ISTM (the characters in the foreground are too short; maybe they’re kids?). Anyway, still has that “look” sassyfras questioned, I think, though perhaps a bit of an upgrade.

That image, by the way, is a depiction of a horrific incident called the Bal des Ardentes which happened to Charles VI of France and some of his friends. They had put on a masquerade party to celebrate someone’s wedding, which involved the king and several French nobles dressing up as “wild men.” As is written, they were dressed “in costumes of linen cloth sewn onto their bodies and soaked in resinous wax or pitch to hold a covering of frazzled hemp, so that they appeared shaggy & hairy from head to foot”. The king’s brother had the bright idea of approaching the costumed men with a lit torch “to discover the identity of the masqueraders.” He wound up setting them all on fire, and four of them burned to death. The king managed to survive - a woman threw a gown on him, putting out the flames.

Man, the things people will do in the name of partying.

Terrific story. I’m telling that to everyone who says history is boring from now on.

Anyone who says that “history is boring” is an idiot, or more likely, the victim of a school system which unfortunately does not teach history in an engaging way. It’s a shame that anyone would say history is boring, since technically everything that has ever happened is history.

I guess they were planning to use his head as a Pez Despenser.