Why do other member names get bolded?

It’s a matter of courtesy, Philster. Ett-kit. :wink: :smiley:

It’s just the convention on this board. I kind of dig it – it’s considerate.

As far as the bold on first mention that USCDiver brings up, I assume it’s a holdover from the old society pages from which these “Sportsbeat,” “Celeb-beat” and “Metrobeat”-type columns evolved. It’s the standard style for society pages/gossip columns.

Sorry, Ringo, but I don’t like the idea of dropping the bolding on the second mention. Posts on the SDMB aren’t a society page; the bolding here is out of etiquette and respect.

–Cliffy

What astro said.

I agree wholeheartedly, Mangetout.

I agree with Ringo, MANGETOUT, and, what the hell, Bruce_Daddy … even though he hasn’t posted in this thread.

Just be thankful the <blink> tag doesn’t work.

Well, me too. And I also agree with sooner!
And I heard that the <blink> tag has been putting in applications! :eek:

(see ya, Later!)

—have missed you all! :slight_smile:

You know, even I don’t do this anymore…

It doesn’t help vanity searches, actually, because when you do one the system highlights the search term for you in red. (Although, come to think of it, I wonder if it’s bold AND red…)

Just red, not bold. (Try it yourself. Just add &highlight=### to the URL, replacing ### with what you want highlighted.)

Well, red alone is sufficient, since the rest of the text is black.

A little quirk noone has yet mentioned: our usernames are, in fact, in bold! Look at the info boxes on the left hand side. “member” – not bold. “Registered: Aug 2000” – not bold. But the username is in bold.

Therefore bolding the username isn’t just convention, it’s actually technically correct!

pan

I disagree.

And damn it, I started this game elsewhere.

You guys realize you’re giving TubaDiva flashbacks of the old AOL days and A Certain Unnamed Poster, don’t you?

:cool:

For the record, I didn’t do it this time! :stuck_out_tongue: