Why do people eat Chinese food with chopsticks?

Using chopsticks is just a fun little skill I’ve taught myself and enjoy using occasionally. Makes more sense to use them on Chinese food than on, say, soup, right? :slight_smile:

One of my tattoos that gets frequent comments/chuckles consists of the “how to use chopsticks” pictorial from a package of chopsticks. :wink:

I think you mean rice is properly eaten out of a bowl. And soup. The other dishes come on plates, and are meant to be picked up with chopsticks.

Chopsticks are useful and versatile, the only real thing they can’t do well is drink soup, otherwise I prefer chopsticks to every type of food, from rice to pizza to potato chips

That’s kindof awesome, where do you have it?

I’m in exactly the same boat, chopsticks-wise – find myself incapable of using the wretched things. (I’m in the UK, where non-Chinese folk using chopsticks seems much less of a “thing” than in the States: I’ve never come across a Chinese restaurant in my own country, where chopsticks were the go-to implement for the general eating public.)

On my one visit – a holiday – to China (People’s Republic): my companion for the trip, a more dexterous character than me, quite readily mastered the standard-issue chopsticks. That feat was beyond me – I had to use a spoon (mercifully, available without hassle wherever we ate). Though my companion could handle chopsticks, he opined that they were a less efficient eating tool, than knives / forks / spoons. Even though this may be cultural (culture-ist?) arrogance – I’ve got to agree with him.

This isn’t very common in Japan. Some hard-core sushi connoisseurs would tell you that’s the right way, but most Japanese people eat sushi with chopsticks.

checks Inside of my right lower leg, from the lower bulge of my calf down to just above my ankle.

The truly cool part came when my brother’s 21 year old son texted me from Virginia, asking me to take a pic of it. I assumed he wanted to show a friend. I sent a pic. Two hours later he sent me a pic of the tattoo done on his leg. He is weird, and his mom hates me now.:smiley:

I won a bet with my wife when I told her I could eat Smarties (Canadian M&Ms) with chopsticks, two at a time, then proceeded to prove it. She paid for supper that night. Once you can do that everything else is pretty easy.
I’ll have to try the Cheeto thing, that does sound like fun.

I mentioned this in my OP. I also mentioned popcorn, which I use my long cooking chopsticks to eat. The dog always gets excited when he sees them. He knows for every five kernels I eat I’ll toss one to him. The cat just likes to chase hers around until the dog steals it.

“Now you can pick up anything.” (Sounds like it would be very useful tattoo at a bar.)

Think of the pair of sticks as a two-tined fork. They can do anything a fork can do, plus they can grip things.

Most challenging for chopsticks for me were (and still are) oiled peanuts. Not enough pressure and they are stuck to the plate by the oil. Too much pressure and they sproing out of the chopstick and richochet around the room.

At a previous job we went out to eat with our Asian clients. We took them to a nearby Chinese restaurant, where they expressed surprise at my using chopsticks.

I immediately plunged the ends of the chopsticks into my glass of ice water and pulled out an ice cube.

Ya know, if I picture myself using chopsticks, I must admit that I don’t really use them as tines, as in stabby stabby :smack: I mostly just grip things between the two ends. Of course I guess it depends on their pointyness.

I learned to use chopsticks as a young child. To me, it’s as easy as eating with a knife and fork. Some food items are designed in such a way that using chopsticks is easier, other’s work better with knife and fork. Oddly enough, it’s often Asian food that works well with chopsticks - go figger, right?

I learned to use chopsticks as a kid. I find them comfortable and convenient to use for the kinds of food I usually buy at Chinese restaurants. I use them home for that type of food. I also use them for some cooking tasks. I never thought to use chopsticks for popcorn, but I think I will try it.

I also horrify my New Yorker husband by eating pizza with a fork and knife.

I’ve found that bamboo chopsticks are the perfect utensil for removing a stuck, burned piece of toast from a toaster. No burned fingers, and no risk of electrocution (Grandma always said, no metal knives in the toaster, you’ll blow up the house!)

You can also use chopsticks to: mix the cat’s medicine into their food, shim a wobbly table, retrieve items dropped behind/into places where you can’t reach or get to with needle nose pliers, mix small cans of enamel, etc. Truly a multi-tasker.

Well, you don’t usually use chopsticks for stabby stabby (though you sometimes can), but that’s because most of the foods designed to be eaten with chopsticks aren’t well suited for stabbing. But the more common use for a fork is as a sort of scoop, and you can use chopsticks just fine for that.