Why do people eat Chinese food with chopsticks?

We had a local cuisinista who had a TV show, which on one episode he took to China. One of the chefs in China said something like, “yeah, we (Chinese) used to use knife and fork at the table, but then we became civilized. Knife and fork are for the kitchen, chopsticks are for the table.”

I’ll take round plastic chopsticks over round stainless steel chopsticks (popular at local Korean restaurants) any day of the week.

I just eat with chopsticks because it’s fun. I don’t get the chance all that often. Sure, scooping with a fork is faster, but I can do that with any food.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that pronunciation of “figure” spelled out. Do you actually still say it that way? I only remember it from my late great uncle who used it in a rather poor and racist joke.

Probably because the Inuit aren’t known for their salads…

Nothing beats bare hands for anything solid. More tactile, neater.

I do also, or at least the first few bites when it’s still really hot and melty. Once it’s cooled down and easy to handle I’ll usually just use my hands. For the last 18 months though, while I had braces, I ate pizza and any number of “finger” type foods with a knife and fork so as to cut down on the amount of food stuck in my grill. I did draw the line at candy bars, though.

Thomas Becket: I’ve imported several dozen forks from France
King Henry IV: Forks? What are they?
Thomas: They’re for pronging food into the mouth.
Henry: Why not use your hands?
Thomas: the forks are washable.
Henry: So are the hands. I don’t see the point…
–Jean Anhouilh Becket

That’s exactly what I do. It still upsets my husband, native New Yorker that he is.

It makes me feel as if I appear superior to other white people not using chopsticks.

Chinese believe it is rude to bring a knife to the table. Why? Who knows? Custom is custom. Therefore, everything is prepared bite-sized. Chinese food (except for soup) is designed to be eaten with chopsticks.

Certainly reduces the chances of stabbings if an agitated argument ensues?
It was well into adulthood that I first tried them and now I try to use the chopsticks when practical in order to keep up practice. Authentic and affordable Chinese/Japanese eateries are scarce in SJ though so it’s more often for sushi or else when I’m at NYC. And yes, I’ve encountered the round metallics at a Korean place and Og that was a schlep to try and keep stuff from simply slipping in between (round wooden are far grippier).

Sticky Japanese rice is easily eaten with chopsticks. But loose chao fan is an ordeal. If I don’t want to bring the bowl to my mouth and use the sticks to push the rice in, I ask for a spoon.

Bare hands also work well. :slight_smile:

Unless you are actually in China, where eating directly from the communal plate is pretty normal.

Once in China, we brought a birthday cake to a restaurant for a celebration. We knew forks wouldn’t be an option, so we asked the wait staff for six spoons. They brought us out six large serving spoons. It was pretty comical.

Thing is, if everybody is proficient with their chopsticks, you can all take from a communal dish without touching anything but what you take.

I lived in Japan for a full year and never saw anyone eat sushi with their fingers. It sounds utterly gauche. Here in the states I hear “sushi is finger food” only from Americans who can’t use chopsticks. I’m surprised, frankly, at the number of posters who can’t use chopsticks. I thought almost everyone could. Certainly all my friends do, though I realize that’s not a random sample. My son grew up using them. I wonder if it’s more common on the west coast?

Or people like myself whose only real exposure to authentic sushi was the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi, where it’s explained that fingers are the best.

I can’t find that clip from the doc but here’s Anthony Bourdain saying the same thing at Jiro’s restaurant.

I’ll admit to being totally gauche most of the time, though.

I haven’t spent as much time in Japan as people who have lived there, but I can say I’ve never seen anyone eating sushi with their fingers, in Japan or anywhere else. First I’ve heard of such a thing.

Maybe Jiro is just playing a trick on us Westerners then :expressionless:

I think it’s a Tokyo aficionado type of thing.

In Japan, when served regular Japanese white rice at a restaurant, chopsticks are used. But when served Chinese-style fried rice, a Chinese soup spoon is usually provided.