Why do people keep their wallet in their back-pocket?

Moving thread from back pocket to front … er, I mean from MPSIMS to IMHO.

Echoing the sciatica issue.

My (then) partner attended the Doc complaining of shooting pains through his buttock and down leg, and was prescribed a change of venue for his wallet. Apparently it is a very common cause of sciatica without any accompanying back issues.

I have a wide, flat wallet that’s perfectly shaped for a back pocket. Of course, this size means it doesn’t fit in any other pocket unless they are the same size and shape as a back pocket. Naturally, that’s where it goes then. Since it’s wide and flat, I can keep money and cards in there without much thickness because they’re all spread out rather than stacked on top of one another.

Also, my keys and knife occupy my front right pocket, and my cell phone my front left pocket. No room in those anyway.

Never had anybody attempt to remove it anywhere I’ve been, even at concerts which I would imagine are a good spot for that.

Sitting on my wallet feels much better than sitting on my keys. :slight_smile:

I wear my shirts untucked, so it isn’t really obvious that there’s a wallet back there. I have keys in a phone in the front pockets.

“It’s a European carryall!”
BTW OP, IMHO it’s not a weak thread – I’ve always wondered the same thing!

Pick pockets are not very common in the US.

I keep my wallet in the rear pocket because the front pocket is for the hand gun.

Which is why I still lament the demise of JNCO Jeans. Thank Og I bought so many back in the day that I still have and wear them.

I’m wondering how many people have ever heard the term “drop wallet” or know what it means?

I’m guilty of it and also do it with my new smartphone too! :smack:

I’ve never kept my wallet in my back pocket. Sounds like a good way to warp your cards.

But a back pocket wallet means sitting on your wallet, which cannot be comfortable. I never use my back pockets.

That happens when you actually sit on the wallet in your back pocket. If you slide it to the side, you don’t have that problem.

Most guys on the SDMB put their wallet in the right rear pants pocket.

My grandfather was pickpocketed, in some foreign country when he was a tourist. They didn’t lift the wallet out the top, the slit the bottom of the pocket.

He always wore dress pants. I’d think it would be easier to slip a wallet out of dress pants, and also easier to cut the fabric as happened to him, than to do either to a pair of denim blue jeans (which is what I always wear). So maybe that’s part of the reason we can keep our wallets in our back pockets: it’s just not that easy to pick-pocket somone anymore.

Has anyone here been pick-pocketed, or know anyone who has been?

Trouble is that its more likely to get lost if its in the coat.

You check your coat in at the door, you leave it on the ground when you are in the park,
you hang it on the chair , you throw it over the door at the change room (females shopping ?) you take it off and carry it when you get onto a bus that has the air controls up to a high temperature… You leave it behind in the car or at the office,

And then when the wallet falls out of the coat… Or you choose the wrong coat… you are sure you got the one with the wallet in it… can’t be bothered to test for it… So now you’ve got the coat but not the wallet.

I obviate the entire problem of choice by having a small boy in a turban carry my wallet on a plush cushion at a discreet distance.

Those supposing a small boy can be easily mugged may rest assured by his skill with a Glock. Carried behind him by yet another child with a cushion.

What kind of deep-pocket pants do you all have where you can sit ON your wallet? I’m sitting down now with my wallet in my left rear pocket and it’s still positioned high enough that I’m not sitting on it.

After I split a few credit cards and driving licence card I moved to side pockets and also use those metal things that claim to stop someone grabbing data from my CC.
But in recent years my wife keeps my money in her handbag which is safer.If I want money I just ask her.

Once I was walking through a park and a thug told me that he had a gun and demanded I handed over my wallet to him. I just said, “Yes” and took out my “drop wallet” and handed it to him.

It’s called a drop wallet because in the event of a mugging, you just drop it and go. It only ever contains a bunch of worthless junk and maybe ten dollars in bills and change. It’s entirely phoney. You carry it in your pants pocket while you carry your real wallet in a money belt or some other location. Women can do the same thing. But there is no need to carry two purses. Just hide your valuables somewhere they wouldn’t search - somewhere it would take too long to get to.

When a thief or mugger is robbing you, they don’t want to take the time to go through your purse or wallet. They see you take it out of your pants or wherever most people carry it and they just assume it’s for real. Why wouldn’t it be? It’s only later they discover that it’s just junk.

One bonus of this approach is that if any cops ask you to stick around and itemize was was stolen, there was nothing of any value stolen and you can just leave. It’s a bit of a chore to always carry an extra wallet or purse. But if you ever get mugged, the nice feeling more than makes up for it.

I wish I could sell drop wallets and drop purses by mail order or over the Net. But as soon as I were to describe them, people would just make them for themselves. They don’t need me. But I pass this technique on to you with my best wishes and I hope it saves you a whole lot of trouble if you ever get robbed.

Phone in the front left, keys and change in the front right*, wallet in the back right, chequebook in the back left.

• When I was overseas I didn’t have a phone; I carried local change in the front right pocket, since it was what I would normally be using, and US change in the front left.