Why Do Photographers Ask You to Say "cheese"?

Yeah, but they’re very careful to stop spiking the lens. Most people’s desire to be in the newspaper overrides their desire to keep looking at me once I tell them not to.

And besides, I usually try to take the picture before they notice me and then introduce myself with “Hi, I’m with the News, can I get your name?”

When we were taking a group photo of our NROTC drill team, young men aged 18-22, the photographer told us to say “pussy”. Naturally, natural laughter.

Personally, I use a squeaky yellow duck. For hard cases I have also a baby one. It’s too stupid and cliché not to smile.

Its hard to get a good, natural smile out of people. For kids what I do is stand behind the photographer and whack my head going “ouch, ouch, ouch”. Always gets a good smile.

For adults sometimes you have to tell them to lose their smile and try again because tensing and relaxing the face muscles sometimes gives a better result.

I’m one of those people who has a very difficult time producing a smile on command.

I’m also an amateur photographer who sometimes does family portraits. I virtually never tell people to smile. Often, I don’t even tell them when I’m taking the picture. My opinion is that natural-looking portraits are more likely to occur when people aren’t trying to smile. Now if smiling comes naturally to them, that’s fine–but it doesn’t come naturally to a lot of people.