why do rams like to, uh, ram things?

Depending on the size, broken bones are in the mix. Bruises most likely (wife raises small breeds). I’ve been hit once, by a horned sheep, while loading him in a truck and got a small bruise. Thankfully he didn’t have much room to get up momentum! (really more of a “butt”, not “ram”) My wife has got more, and larger bruises, and her friend with the bigger sheep operation always looks like an abuse victim when I see her! Lady, ditch the shorts!

If you were to get knocked down, they might take another shot at you, but a sustained “attack” is unlikely, I think. They lose interest pretty fast. But I’m certainly no expert. Like I say, I just drive the truck!

Check out the first hit in the video I linked to in my OP, at 0:25. The rider and bike get knocked back pretty good, and the ram actually breaks some parts on the guy’s bike. Try to imagine taking that hit on your knee, to the front or side. I’m envisioning major knee damage, torn ligaments and such.

Chronos’ story suggests that once you’re laid out on the ground, you don’t present much of a challenge, and so they leave you alone.

Or at least, that you’re of less interest than a person who’s still standing. I don’t know how well dropping to the ground would work if there’s not someone else to distract them.

This thread is reminding me of the song “Sir Psycho Sexy”…

Like a ram gettin’ ready to jam the lamb…

This kind of dodging is actually done for sport, in Spain and with bulls. It is called Recortes and performed by Recortadores who are very adept at throwing a fake (or deke, juke) and then moving to the other side. The faked out bull will pass by harmlessly.

Youtube video (appx 10 mins).

A video game alpha release, courtesy of SerenDipity, seemingly custom-made for some in this thread:

Goat-rammer. (YouTube clip)

Holy crap, I could not stop laughing. My stomach hurts. Thanks for that!

Ewe should know that they don’t know the ramifications.

Because they are Baaaaaad.

What I want to know is, how/why have these people staged this video?

It appears there was an initial unstaged encounter, after which the rider and his friends went back to have some staged fun - including the video in my OP, in which they actually strapped a camera to the back of the ram.

I think you guys and gals are being a bit harsh. Rams can be intelligent and friendly chaps, just don’t bother them when its rutting time.

Dad used to raise Border Leicesters and as you can see, the rams are substantial animals. I’ll admit to a secret nervousness about the massive forehead and you could hear the crack of head butts from paddocks away. But mostly they were placid.

Rams are males. They need to dominate their pasture and their ewes. Even sheep dogs are wary of rams - sheep run but rams attack.

If you turn your back there is a chance you could be seriously hurt. A broken pelvis is odds-on.