Why do so many cities have a union station?

I notice that Dallas is not one of those that has a “union” station.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/828/why-do-so-many-cities-have-a-union-station
In fact, it has a RE-union station.

I thought it might be because that’s where families and friends would have a reunion when traveling to see each other, but that’s presumptuous since not everyone travels to make a reunion.

Certainly it wasn’t a resurgence of the Labor movement, at least not in Texas.

So, would it be a RE-consolidation of multiple rail stations in Dallas AGAIN?

A similar (and worthless) lookup into the word “reiteration” showed that an ITERATION is to repeat. So RE-iteration is to repeat. Repeatedly. “So, let me reiterate. But I repeat myself. Again.”

A “Union Station” is(or used to be) a railway station used by two or more different railways, allowing passengers to transfer from one railway to another.

I don’t know about “reunion” station, but Dallas has a Union Station. Of course, since there is no longer any such thing as multiple long-haul passenger rail lines, it can’t be really a union station any more, but it is the city’s Amtrak terminal, as well as a mass trans commuter and light rail station.

Nice architecture, too, apparently. Reminds me an awful lot of my own local Union Station (which, alas, is only a museum now).

ETA: I won’t vouch for its accuracy (being Wikipedia and all), but this is a list of union stations (active, inactive, or no longer existing) in North America.

I absolutely love train station architecture. A lot of these buildings date back to a time when long-distance travel was a Big Deal, and it shows. DC’s Union Station, for example, has statues of Roman soldiers welcoming travelers to the capital of the Republic.

I always thought it was a result of the War of Northern Agression. any time the evil Unionist forces took over a station they’d call it that.

Joking, onnnnnlllyyy joking. . . .