Why do some people believe racism by liberals is the worst kind?

Well I don’t care what he thinks. In some cases I AM sexist. I have had dudes make a move on me in situations like this. The most another woman has done is check out my shoes.

Here are two more reasons why people might make some version of this claim:

1. Racism by liberalish people is more common (in the speaker’s experience, probably based on whom they interact with). Perhaps something like “I haven’t been called a ____ since last year, maybe, but I’m getting racist microagressions every day by my supposedly woke classmates.”
  2. This reason’s utterly pragmatic: decrying racism by the liberalish is more likely to result in actual shame, maybe even changed behavior. I always kind of assumed this was the subtext of “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” — he thought it might work on some of those potential white allies.

For those questioning the premise, versions of this argument are not uncommon! My Asian-American wife holds to the first version I laid out — kind of shocked me the first time she said it.

Does the liberal really treat you as an equal?

For example, would it be ok for a liberal teacher to award a minority student with a higher grade or an award even if they dont deserve it because they feel they should hold them to a lower standard?

Are they afraid to tell you something bad (like maybe your kid was doing something wrong or you are having a yard dispute) because they are afraid of it coming across as racist, but they would say the same to a white friend?

BTW, getting back to the OP. Blatant racism like telling someone they should go away or such is way worse than what I’m describing above. But frankly, I dont see how this makes them “conservative”. It just makes them to be assholes.

Not all conservatives are blatantly racist assholes, sure. It’s just that the modern conservative movement is far more tolerant of that kind of blatant racist assholery than the modern liberal movement is.

One thing is most liberals I know dont really live and work around that many black people. Ask most of them how many times at work they were the lone white face and its been pretty rare.

Strawman.

Strawman.

Wow, what a ridiculous differentiation you’ve set up here. Coddling black people is somehow defitional of a liberal, and the only racism conservatives might be guilty of is telling black people to “go away”, but the people who do that might happen to be conservatives, but it’s really not a conservative thing.

Not only does your point have nothing to do with the OP whatsoever, it’s wrong. Your implication that conservatives do not promote and embrace any racist policies, behaviors and attitudes is provably false, and your implication that liberal teachers across the country are defying grading rubrics en masse to give their black students higher grades is nothing more than unfounded paranoia.

You do know that there are all sorts of “non blatant” (kind of a misnomer) acts of racism that form the pillars of modern conservative recruitment?
The conservative position is that white supremacists are “very fine people,” protesters against police brutality are “thugs”. Liberals want (to varying degrees) more of the history of black America in the classroom. Conservatives

Some conservatives may or may not

You know that Hispanics can be light skinned or white too uh? I’m not too sure what you are making a point of over there, but I assume that you think that liberals that work in a place with lots of minorities have a more valid say so on this issue, if that is the case, I say that your points so far are asinine.

Regarding (2) in the OP, isn’t it possible the guy just really likes Mexican food so he goes to those restaurants all the time?

I believe some balance of all of the above are true. I think there does start an even playing field. I think a combination of things contribute to the failings that end up with such disparate outcomes. Single mothers being a primary one.

Why I think the liberal racism is worse is because these disparities are assumed to be racially motivated instead of figuring out the actual causes and treating the diseases, liberals want to treat the symptoms.

No, the difference is on what the causes are. Most liberals believe that various forms of systemic/institutional bias and racism are largely to blame for these various statistical and outcome disparities, and thus want to focus on fixing these systems and institutions.

Have you done some kind of poll? What’s the basis for your statement?

But let’s say your premise is true. Is liberal racism the only explanation you can think of?

Or could it be that one must really work hard to be the “lone white face” in a society that is predominately white? In my current day-to-day existence, I would have to work hard to NOT be around white people. It wouldn’t be that hard if I were a church-goer, let’s say. Black churches tend not to attract a lot of white folk (outside of celebrity funerals). But my hobbies and interests tend to attract a diverse assemblage of folks. I live in a racially mixed neighborhood. My workplace is predominately white. Since all of my friends are coworkers, they are also predominately white. I don’t think I’m racist against black people, and yet I’m not surrounded by black people. I’m surrounded by black people and white people.

But let’s say that the average white person could easily be the “lone white face” if they tried. I still don’t think never being the “lone white face” is evidence of racism. Because there is a cultural barrier that can be intimidating to cross. Like, I used to live in a high-rise apartment that was predominately Ukrainian Jew. The schul and a community center in the basement were “theirs”. I was friendly with my neighbors. I harbored no ill feelings towards them. But I wasn’t eager to insert myself in their spaces because they never extended an invitation towards me. I didn’t know if my presence would even be welcome. Perhaps if I were lonely or in need of help, I would have reached out to them and allowed myself to be the “lone black face” in their midst. But since I wasn’t in any special need, I stuck with people whose background was more similar to mine.

Most white folks don’t need to immerse themselves in an all-black world. So I don’t blame any whitefolk for not having this experience. I certainly think that experience would be a good one to have. But I don’t think not having it means a person isn’t a true ally.

What do you think the systemic causes of that racism are and how are liberals addressing those root causes?

Honest question because all I see are liberals choosing to treat symptoms …

Outcomes will always and forever be non equal as long as people are free to choose things for themselves. Opportunities however should largely be equal.

How are conservatives addressing those root causes? Honest question because all I see are conservatives choosing to insist that they don’t exist, that there are no systemic causes, and that every attempt to address either the causes or effects of systemic racism is inappropriate.

“Opportunities” are never equal.

There have been tons of discussions (and proposed solutions) on these issues, on this board and elsewhere – some examples relating to the current protests:

The blue wall encouraging police silence;
Police having the power and incentive to benefit themselves with fines and forfeiture;
Police militarism;
For-profit law enforcement and corrections;
Differing treatment and sentencing by race written into the law code (i.e. cocaine vs crack);

And in broader society:

Society treating aspects of black culture (like the language dialect African American Vernacular English) as inherently inferior and undesirable;
Unequal access to basic services like education, health care, banking, voting, and even things like nutritious and affordable food;
Greater levels of pollution and toxicity in black communities;
Gentrification leaving black families homeless;

And much, much more. These are just a few examples out of probably thousands. Plenty of solutions have been proposed for each of these.

This is a speciously structured argument (the excluded middle fallacy).

I admit that it’s rare that I’m the lone white face.

But I do indeed live and work among lots of racial minorities (when I retired this year, my boss’s boss was one, and so was approximately half of my team).

So your first assertion is wrong about me. But you’ve structured the argument to make it look like it’s right, by ignoring the case that applies to me.

On edit, I see that **monstro **has already made the other point I’d planned to: that it’s less likely for a member of the (white) majority to be the only non-white person in any group, since, by definition, the majority outnumbers the minority.

That last sentence should read:

“…that it’s less likely for a member of the (white) majority to be the only white person in any group, since, by definition, the majority outnumbers the minority.”

These are the liberals you know. Have you ever considered the possibility that it’s you?

Maybe most liberals do live and work in multi-ethnic environments. But you don’t see them because you live and work in white only environments. So the only liberals you see are the ones who also live and work in white only environments.

I’ll also point out that there’s a vast chasm between working in a place were there aren’t any black people and working in a place where you’re the only white person. An American workplace that’s statistically average in race is going to be majority white.

And those all address racism?

Directly or indirectly, yes, IMO.

And how do you suggest we address racism? What’s the conservative solution to the problem. If “treating the symptoms” is worse than racism itself (which is a disingenuous position that I do not concede), then surely you must have an answer to the problem that gets at the root of it?

What’s the conservative answer to massive systemic racial disparities in America?