Why do some Simpsons characters have blue hair?

My favorite: “I’m the sweet minister’s daughter, and you’re just yellow trash.”

I wasn’t seeking a rationalization, simply wondering if there was more to it than I suspected. I stated this in the OP. What if there was some perfect explanation and I went about my day not knowing it? That would mean I was ignorant of the fact that some Simpson’s characters have blue hair for a reason. I don’t want to be ignorant, not even when it comes to something so trivial. In other words, it was just a question.

Homer (From the episode in which his father dates Mrs. Bouvier): “If he marries your mother, Marge, we’ll be brother and sister! And our kids, they’ll be horrible freaks with pink skin, no overbites, and five fingers on each hand!”

I got mahself a cite:

Matt Groening

…oh, and my own idea…blue hair in Springfield is about as common as red hair in RL…

First rule in anime: Beware of the new kid with blue hair. Maybe they hail from Springfield.

DD

Quoth Walloon:

In support of this, am I the only one who remembers that Superman used to have blue hair? Same reason there, I think.

Hey, sometimes a guy just wants his skin to look its yellowest.

moe had black hair

Welcome, @dubilee! If you remember that, you’re no spring chicken. :slightly_smiling_face: Hope you like it here!

Ninja’d

If you have regulars like Homer and Barney, you tend to get grey fast…

Any decade now, we’ll find out if @Sublight was correct.

My theory: blue is a natural hair color in their world, but quite rare. And that’s why Marge is aghast at the idea that she colors her hair–even though she does.

I’ve noticed a lot of drawn characters have orange hair.

Like Fry! Like Fry!

Oh wait, wrong show.

Futurama DID have a crossover with the Simpsons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsorama

Maybe the blue hair and yellow skin is a precursor to the Mutants on Futurama.

In 2056.