Why do the male cows on "Back at the Barnyard" have udders?

:eek:

Now I don’t know what to do. :confused: My mind is awhirl with a combination of terror, amusement, admiration, and curiosity: what are the first two items on your agenda?

Did you know that in the olden days, they used to refer to a bulls as a “gentleman cow” or “male cow” because the word “bull” was considered vulgar?

What about your kids and spouse?

Yeah, like I’d tell you guys that. Dio’s the OP, and he’s on the side of good; he’d totally narc me out to Batman.

I have already ADMITTED to being wrong. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a lair to rebuild.

I’m no expert in cattle biology, but I also was under the impression that cows also don’t talk.

Now the real question should be -

If a male had female parts, would he actually leave his room??? =)

Oh it’s not THAT difficult. Pom Poko features anthropomorphic raccoons with very prominent scrotums. At one point they even use their nut-sacks as cudgels to beat the crap out of some police in riot gear. I’m sure **Barnyard ** could have done something similar.

No kids and my S.O. has no room to complain about my talking during movies. I almost had to reenact Sweeney Todd on him the other night.

Well, I am glad I said “male cattle”.

I’m still anoyed about the four-legged ants in A Bug’s Life.

According to the IMDB:

And:

Linky.

So they did it on purpose to be funny. Yeah, it’s hysterical. :rolleyes:

I found it distractingly stupid, personally. Good thing it was just on Showtime and I could change the channel to something less annoying, like Rock of Love or something.

Unless someone comes up with a better answer, this one wins the thread.

Hm. I grew up in the olden days and I don’t remember that. :dubious:

Actually, in the USA that might have been true in the Victorian Era - it was in the USA that the word “cock” was abandoned in favour of “rooster”, and where, one reads, that the ultrarefined put little lace stockings on piano legs, and the breast of a cooked fowl became “white meat”. Young ladies were advised not to sit on a chair that a gentleman had recently sat upon, for fear the chair might still be warm from his . . um . . . bottom.

In England the male chicken is still called a cock, likewise the male pheasant and who knows what other bird, and Queen Victoria was not very Victorian, herself.

And those sophisticated and supposedly unblushing French call a brassiere a “soutien gorge” or “throat supporter” so poo on them, too. (Always wanted to bring the soutien gorge into a discussion but never could until this very moment.) While a woman’s breasts are sometimes referred to as “tits”, the word ought to be spelled as “teats”, as “teats” is properly pronounced as “tits” but generation upon generation of boys would be confused - their interest not lying precisely in the spelling of the items.

So, a cow’s udder generally has four teats or quarters and a bull, the noble and lordly man cow, generally does not. I hope y’all notice how I drug my verbosity back on topic?

Well done, vison. :smiley:

Those wacky Japanese!

So, what’s the fixation on nicknames for castrated male animals? Why can’t bulls be bulls and stallions be stallions. Gelding just sounds so…demeaning.

Think of it as industrial labelling. A stallion has different uses than a gelding - for one, it can be used for breeding - or a cow, and is therefore listed differently. I mean, you wouldn’t call a harvester and a bulldozer by the same name, even though they’re both tractors.

Look at it this way:

Stallion - insemination, riding (high maintenance).
Gelding - energy, riding
Mare - breeding, energy, riding
Cow - milk, meat, breeding
Bull - insemination, meat
Ox - energy

… and so forth. Stop thinking of farm animals as animals and start thinking of them as inventory.

That night Farmer Brown was kept awake by the sounds from the barn.
Click Clack Moo.
Click Clack Moo.
Clickity Clack Moo.

The following morning, duck (being a neutral party) handed Farmer Brown a note:

“Dear Farmer Brown,
We are unhappy cows. We demand hormones and surgery to become comfortable in our own hides. Also, sequined dresses.
Sincerly,
The Cows”

You know, Mencken was often exaggerating the prudery of his contemporaries to make a satirical point in his newspaper columns.

And he has been whooshing Americans for generations since.

Aww, I’m a city girl. The notion is as foreign to me as thinking my pets are not my actual family. :wink:

But, yeah, I get your point. Poor, emasculated geldings. :frowning:

You mean like doing the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs?

Han still shot first.

Yes, but that quote comes from The American Language, which has no connection to Mencken’s columns. It’s one of the few Mencken works that can legitimately be called “scholarly”.