Why Do Washing Machine Hoses Apparently Burst More Than Other Modern Plumbing?

This may be horribly dorky to ask, but here goes.

Many web sites speak of the danger of washing machine hoses bursting, recommending stainless steel reinforcement and replacement every few years. Example:

Choose the Right Washing Machine Hose to Prevent Leaks

I find two Factual Questions threads mentioning burst washing machine hoses (here and here), so it can’t be a mythical problem.

I follow standard advice, even turning off water values, behind our first floor washing machine, after every use. But it doesn’t make sense to me, because our newish house is plumbed with flexible polyethylene tubing (“PEX”), unreinforced by metal, and estimated to last 50 - 100 years under full water pressure.

Is there a scientific reason why washing machine hoses need replacement more frequently than the often-plastic tubing leading up to them?

Part of the issue is the vibration from the washer. Typically its the hot water hose that wears out. Very hot water was tough on the hoses, cold not as much.

This was far more of an issue before the armored hoses. I think they’re exaggerating the danger with the new hoses. Typical hot water is a bit cooler these days also. Safety rules to prevent scalding.

I don’t know, but I can tell you it’s not worth risking it. I had a washing machine hose spring a leak a few years ago and it was a nightmare.

At first, I thought it was literally a nightmare. I woke up at 3 AM to the sound of Niagara Falls, decided it was a dream and went back to sleep for about three seconds. Then I sat up and realized the sound was still there. Another three seconds later I was standing in ankle deep water in my hallway. Thankfully I knew where to find the shutoff valve.

That’s all it took. One little pinhole, just a few seconds, the water is under pressure and my life became a misery for weeks. Carpets, flooring, mold testing, replacing wood trim… I later put in metal hoses and became fanatical (to this day) of turning off the main water valve whenever I leave or turn in for the night.

So yeah. Don’t skimp on the metal hoses.

Edit: Thank Og I was home! At that time I didn’t turn off the water valve when I left. The whole place would have floated down the street with nobody there to shut it off.

FWIW I used braided hoses when I first got my washer in 1996. They’re still there and never leaked.

I DID get a leak on vacation once. I’d turned off the valves as a precaution and the valve leaked out the shaft.

This is the key. I had a washer hose burst only once, and thankfully at least the washer was in the basement. The basement flooded, and ruined many items that were in there including a beautiful expensive area rug that had been stored down there.

Today, armoured (i.e.- braided) hoses are pretty much mandatory. I have an upstairs (second-floor bedroom level) laundry room and a burst hose there would be catastrophic. When I got a new washing machine the installers sort of insisted that a purchase of new armoured hoses was a prerequisite. I finally got them to agree that the ones I already had were just fine. But plain rubber ones is just asking for trouble.

Ditto - have had braided hoses since I moved here in 1984, and 3 different washing machines in the interim, with hoses replaced each time. No leaks ever. Maybe I’m just lucky? It’s never occurred to me to shut the water or the valves off when not in use or when I’m away.

My guess about washer hoses breaking more often involves the mechanics of the on/off valve in the washer itself. When the valve opens to fill the tub, this causes no major pressure issue with house plumbing or the washer hoses. I believe the problem involves the sudden and repeated closing of the washer fill valve causing a water hammer effect on the hose due to immediate pressure build up.

I know with my washer, when the tub is full and the valves closes, I can see the hoses flex or move slightly as a result of the free flowing water coming to a sudden stop. Over time, that momentary high pressure caused by the valve shutting off so quickly takes a toll on the hose integrity. I agree braided hoses are better and should also be replaced every 7 to 10 years.

Oh man, this happened to me, too. I had a van-ful of people in my driveway waiting for me to run in and shut the main water off before we left for a week-long vacation. When I closed the valve I saw drip-drip-drip.

I no longer shut off the water when going on vacation.

With regard to the OP, I have had the same braided hoses for 20+ years. Wondering if I should switch them out; I hate to mess with something that is working.

mmm

My Miele machine came with an attachment that damps down the shock of opening and closing the water supply. Since it is a European machine it only has a cold water feed.

Our previous machine (without a damper) never actually leaked, but there was a noticeable ‘clunk’. heard through the house, when the supply shut off. With the Miele, this does not happen and it is whisper quiet.

Not sure about a Miele washing machine, but my Miele dishwasher has an anti-flood device. This is at the tap end of the hose. It seems it contains a solenoid valve, and there is a wired connection back to the machine. It is pretty clever. It only opens to deliver water to the machine, and when it does open, the machine checks to ensure water is actually being delivered properly. If it isn’t, the machine shuts off the valve and goes into an error state.
This means that the machine can detect a failed hose.

This actually saved me once. Insanely, a rat ate through the hose. The machine just shut down. It would have flooded the floor below had it not. I remain seriously impressed.

You can buy those as independent devices, however they’re not ‘smart’, or at least not as smart as I presume yours to be. The ones I’ve seen have the water running through them, but also have the washing machine plugged into them. They keep an eye on the power and only open the valves when there’s enough power being drawn by the washing machine that it’s safe to assume it’s running. This is, more or less, what I’ve seen, but I’m sure there are different brands/models with different features.

I had almost that exact same experience. I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom. As I was wandering back to bed, I stepped in something wet, which to this day, I tell myself was a puddle of melted snow and totally not dog pee. In either case, I had stopped to deal with that and by the time I was done, I noticed the toilet was still filling. After about 2 minutes of letting other noises in the house stop, like the furnace and make sure the toilet wasn’t actually filling, I stumbled down to the basement. The basement, to my surprise, was loud and absolutely filled with steam (and I thought it was smoke at first). Eventually I could see water pouring out of the bottom of it. I can remember half my brain wanting to panic and the other half thinking ‘calm down, figure this out, go back to bed’. So I shut off the gas and water inlet and outlet on the water heater, went back to bed and replaced it in the morning.

I got lucky in that the leak was in a spot where it was contained by the outer case of the unit. Wherever it was originating, it was pouring directly out the bottom and not, say, spraying across the room.

Even more lucky is the fact that the water heater is about 2 feet from a floor drain, so there wasn’t any damage either. In fact, by morning you really couldn’t tell anything had happened. My washing machine is just as close and one of the reason I don’t replace the hoses as often as I should is because I know (assume/hope) if one breaks there’s just not a whole lot of damage it can do in a room made mostly of concrete.

However, one thing I do keep in mind is what’s on the floor in the area around the drain (and the path from water sources to the drain). My neighbor had, what should have been, a very small amount of water in their basement from a heavy rain. But the water, on it’s way to the floor drain, picked up an old door mat and carried it to the drain where it sealed itself to the drain opening and allowed their basement to start flooding.

Nothing too much to add.

I was president of my 150-unit condo for a few years, so call it ~1000-washer-years of experience. We dealt with some hose bursts. In all cases they were the old style non-steelbraided hoses and totally looked like ancient crap with the rubber obviously deteriorated. The owners / residents were all definitely of the out-of-sight-out-of-mind school of home maintenance.

FWIW, water heater splits were about 5x as common as washer hose failures. And produce equally devastating floods.

My own opinion based on this experience:

1. With steel-braided washer hoses replaced every 5-10 years, the risk is just about zero.

2. With the various hoses with anti-flood features available either as included accessories with a modern washer or as aftermarket parts the risk is zero.

3. Turning off the water supply to the washer each time is probably overkill. It’s definitely a leak risk in itself if you don’t have a 1/4-turn ball valve type of shutoff. I have seen installations where the valve body is hidden behind a decorative cover and only the movable handle protrudes from the cover/wall. That sets up a slow leak you can’t see once the valve body begins to drip from over-use. That’s bad.

4. Every washer and every HWH should have a leak alarm sitting on the floor next to it. Like this example; there are lots of different makes & models: Amazon Example

I believe the advice is to replace them periodically, like perhaps every five years.

They have a 5 year warranty typically, but they’re good for longer than 5 years. I would say inspect at least yearly and figure a 10 year life on these hoses.

Late add to my post 3 above:

Everything I’ve said about clothes washers applies equally to dishwashers.

Water hammer is really tough on plumbing systems.

Years ago a houseguest shut off a bathroom faucet rather suddenly, and the water hammer effect created an overpressure that popped a hard plastic supply line out of a compression fitting under the sink, causing a flood and some damage. I’ve since installed water hammer arrestors on all the bathroom sinks in the house, and we also have arrestors on the supply hoses to the washing machine. Without arrestors, the washing machine supply hoses take the full brunt of the water hammer effect, and they’re not particularly good at expanding to slowly decelerate the whole column of incoming water when the solenoid valve suddenly slams closed, so they end up taking a LOT of stress. Arrestors actually contain a spring- or gas-loaded piston that moves inside its cylinder, allowing the water upstream of it to gradually decelerate instead of suddenly slamming to a stop.

This is the difference, the washing machine hoses that tend to burst aren’t made of PEX. The braided hoses sometimes used for the last foot or two between the shutoff valves and the sink, toilet, and dishwasher may be PEX on the inside, but they also have thicker walls than washing machine hoses and they have extra braiding around the outside.

I used to have the infamous “blue pipe” feeding my house from the street, and a common gate valve going into the house. When the blue pipe developed a leak (at both ends at the same time!) i replaced it with copper, and replaced the frozen gate valve with a lever action ball valve. So turning off the water on vacation is easy and precise.

I’m super paranoid. I turn off the water, and open the breakers for everything not required for keeping the house running when I’m not around.

I went around and replaced all hoses in our house with the metal/braided ones after one of our toilet hoses sprang a leak. It was in the middle of the night, and thankfully we were home, but it was enough water to destroy all the hardwood floor downstairs, and some carpet, but luckily not the kitchen cabinets (we caught it soon enough to shut off the water and broom the water out the back door). Fun times.

When the clean-up crew showed-up to dry-out our house, they told me of a story where a washing machine located upstairs had a hose break while the family was on vacation, and got home to find a waterfall on their stairs, and the downstairs ceiling fallen onto their living room and TV/electronics. I went around and replaced all household hoses:

• Washer
  • Ice maker/Fridge
  • Toilets

For the toilet that had the problem, the hose was not broken - it was the plastic/nylon nut that cracked and caused the leak. Evidently, it was installed with a “bend” due to the length. When I installed the new, metal braided hoses, I made sure to buy the longest one available and make a “loop” - this reduces the stress on the plastic/nylon nut.

Yeah, I shut-off the water to the house when we go on vacation. If you ask your insurance-person, leaks from washing machine and other household hoses is not uncommon, and causes a lot of damage.

I started reading this thread last night and it scared the fuck out of me. I just did a check and my entire house is good. Most of my plumbing has been replaced over the last 20 years when I had things changed out. For there not to be one of those metal encased hoses, things must be pretty old or incompetently installed.