Why do we sing along?

Why do humans feel the urge to sing along to songs? I mean, when I’m listening to a song that I know really well, I start singing along almost automatically. And if I make myself stop, I feel an even stronger pull to start again.

What instills that urge in us?

(I’d put this in GD, but it seems too unimportant for that)

It just feels good!

Because that is exactly what music appeals to within us, or to put it another way, that is what music is for.

Because I can generally sing it better than the person on the radio :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I just feel great after I’ve been driving a while singing at the top of my lungs. It just takes away a great deal of stress for me.

Because it allows us, for the duration of a song, to take on the coolness of the singer without having to do all that training and recording and stuff.

“Because it allows us, for the duration of a song, to take on the coolness of the singer without having to do all that training and recording and stuff”

That would tend to imply that it is a conscious, willing desire.

“Because that is exactly what music appeals to within us, or to put it another way, that is what music is for.”

I like that explanation, Mangetout, but I don’t think it really gets to the heart of the matter.

To a certain extent, it’s a vicarious experience for people. For 3 minutes (or 5 or whatever), you can feel the emotions of the song - you can feel the elation, you can feel the sadness, you can feel the anger. It can make you feel alive, energized. By singing along, you are no longer a spectator to the emotions of the song - you are a participant. It’s kind of another example of thrill-seeking for people where they seek experiences and emotions that they would not necessarily feel in their normal lives.

That’s my half-assed assessment.