Why do you value your e-privacy?

From the Napster Alternatives thread:

Amazon’s Privacy policy:

(Parenthetical comments are mine)

More:

I don’t immediately see anything objectionable in the “below” part.

From Amazon’s Safe Shopping Guarantee:

Not to mention the built-in safety factor that already comes with using a credit card anywhere, not just on line.

And I always give my telephone number out in the order process (in case something goes wrong and they need to reach me), and I’ve never had a problem with telephone solicitations.

So, what are we afraid of? I have been an Amazon customer for almost as long as they have been operating. I don’t get spammed by them or any of their affiliated business, and I think it would be business-suicide for any company that starts doing that to their customers.

Only once did I receive a solicitation from Drugstore.com (an Amazon subsidiary) for a special on Pepcid®. Somehow they knew that I take that & they sent me a dynamite offer on the stuff for which I was grateful.

When I think of the word privacy I imagine people peeking through my widows or listening to my telephone conversations. Any transactions I make with a business are private between me and said busness. I know that people are going to say that said business violates that privacy when they sell or give my information to other businesses, but I really don’t have a huge problem with this. If I were to buy a battery charger at gadgets.com, I wouldn’t really care if they shared that info with their subsiduary (batteries.com) so that I could get a good deal on something to put in my charger.

Who here has ever declined to give their phone number to Radio Shack when making a purchase in one of their stores? Did you think that they are going to call you up in the middle of the night to see if you wanted to buy a ham radio kit? As much as I’ve shopped there over the past 20 years I’ve never received a call from them.

Okay I’m waiting… alarm me.

Well, I do. The piecemeal gathering of personally identifiable data quickly becomes enough to build a profile of an individual. The consequences of this might not be as blatant as phone calls from Radio Shack in the middle of the night, but I am extremely uncomfortable giving any entity valuable information about me.

Are you familiar with the scandal of Amazon experimenting with charging different customers different prices? This is the sort of thing that I don’t want to happen.

Or how about this article about how marketing databases have enough information to accurately cross correlate with census data.

Basically, I place great value in not being manipulated. The more information that someone else has about me, the more they can tailor their appearance to me so as to only show me what is likely to appeal. I don’t want the government knowing what I’m up to, and I don’t want Amazon knowing the maximum I’ll pay.

If you don’t value your privacy, why do you have your ICQ indicator disabled?