why does everyone hate new jersey?

What’s wrong with Watchung? And what’s wrong with Hoboken? (I’ve never been to Ho-Ho-Kus)

And I think not having self-serve at the gas station is a mark against New Jersey!

What’s wrong with Watchung? And what’s wrong with Hoboken? (I’ve never been to Ho-Ho-Kus)

And I think not having self-serve at the gas station is a mark against New Jersey!

They sound like scary places. Ho-Ho-Kus sounds like where old Santa Clauses go to retire. And Watchung sounds like something a kung-fu guy would say after he gave you a beat down. Watchung!

And we all know that hobos live in Hoboken. That’s why the parking’s so bad.

As for the gas pumping thing, having grown up doing it myself, I appreciate the service. I admit I was resistant at first, but during my first winter here, I changed my mind fast.

Ooooohhh! Consider me officially whooshed!

I always thought Watchung sounded like the sound that a guitar string makes when it breaks–Wa-chung-g-g-g-g-g-g.

Other bad place names: Mahwah and Piscataway.

You mean Manhattan West (yeah right). Its a fine place to meet college kids and Jersey locals who don’t want to pay the extra $12 to come back and forth across the Holland Tunnel.
But every night, a little bit of Jersey creeps into the town. “Yo! Tony! Wed you park da car?!”

It’s not even cheaper to live there anymore. You pay the same rent as Manhattan, you just get a little more space.

And that freakin PATH train blows! I don’t know how many times I get fed up with the ticket machine, throw my change at the NJ Transit guard to distract him and then jump the turnstile out of frustration. Just so I don’t have to wait 20 minutes for the next train.

While it’s one of my favorite Bon Jovi albums, it’s no Slippery When Wet.

Ummmm…if you’re such an expert, how come you don’t know that you only have to pay the tunnel toll in one direction?

A little bit of Jersey creeps into Hoboken?? Ha ha ha! What do you think Hoboken was before it was discovered by the yups in the late 1980s? Every night, a little bit more of New York creeps into Hoboken. And Jersey City.

Sorry you don’t like the PATH train. Things have been a bit more difficult with regard to downtown mass transit since that little incident on 9/11.

Because it’s New Jersey. The Mississippi of the Mid-Atlantic.

Jeesh, a thought this was a universal constant- an absolute as it were.

:smiley:

-me

You discovered my secret. I’m not the expert on all things Hoboken. As a matter of fact I’ve never actually driven through the Holland Tunnel. Seems odd though that you only have to pay when LEAVING NJ.

Scary

I wasn’t terribly impressed by the service before 9/11.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. You’ll notice that on all the Manhattan bridges and tunnels, you pay going INTO Manhattan, but you don’t have to pay going out. Therefore, it is easier to get out of Manhattan than to get in, because you don’t have to wait in line to pay. The effect is that cars get out faster, easing Manhattan congestion.

p.s. I was in Hoboken tonight. Had dinner at Arthur’s. (Washington & 3rd) Boy, was that good!

And the Tappenzee Bridge?

I’ve been to Arthur’s. It’s not bad. There are actually a lot of good places to eat/drink in Hoboken. It’s just a pain in the ass to get to if you live in the city and don’t have a car (compared to getting around Manhattan).

Whats wrong with NJ? I happen to have a thing for NJ men!! :stuck_out_tongue:

And to that I have to say How YOU Doin? :smiley:

Hey Baby!

The Tappan Zee isn’t a Manhattan bridge.

I live in New Jersey, and I haven’t seen anything here that would trigger anyone to hate it. Yeah, there’s a city here and there, and though it is the most industrialized and densly populated state, I find it scenic and roomy. People tend to get the wrong impression. I visited New York City, and immediately thought all of New York was disgusting and polluted, but it’s not. Before you post, try living here and seeing what it’s like.

For three years (horror of horrors!) I reverse commuted to New Jersey.

To Newark.

Voluntarily.

Now, the law firm I was working for was and remains Evil Incarnate, but so are most law firms so that’s not particularly distinguishing.

I actually kinda like Newark. It desperately needs downtown housing and the overall sense of the city is a wistful what-was-and-might-have-been, but it’s still alive in many corners. The Ironbound, south of Newark Penn Station, is a fascinating Portuguese/Brazilian section with great markets and restaurants. The Newark Museum and the public library are underappreciated jewels.

Yeah, there’s a lot of ugliness on the Turnpike. But think about it: who wants to live next to a 12-to-14 lane highway? Not people who can afford not to. Nor businesses that don’t need ready transport access. So what you’re left with is warehousing, petrochemicals, and other inaesthetics.

Oh, but jughandles…jughandles are the work of a succubus. I have long been convinced that the New Jersey highway department hires only from special-ed classes…

I like NJ. Have some friends there & enjoy visiting. Also like Liberty Park on the NJ side where you can see the Manhattan skyline & take a water taxi across.

It’s the turnpike.

Bad experiences in both. Cousins had a Benai Mitzvah (they’re twins) in Mahwah and it was filled with Jersey Girls and the dance floor was a horrible amalgam of various perfumes. Luckily I spent most of the time outside the country club with my Uncle Marty listening to Game 1 of the World Series. Piscataway (I think, could be another P-place) is the site of an Embassy Suites I stayed in that had the pool invaded by 50 kids, way over the load limit, for some redneck family reunion.

Some Jersey girls are hot though, and the Torch isn’t that bad when you get to know him. Wildwood’s pretty fun, it also contains the last memories of me with some other cousins before they became very frum orthodox Jewish, creating a tense family situation. Still, is there any part of it that isn’t either East Philadelphia or West New York?