Why Does New Jersey Suck so Much?????

New Jersey sucks to keep New York from sliding into the Atlantic.

The Coyote gnaws …
but he does not swallow.

BTW, Enright3, I loved your joke.
Or was it a joke?

The Coyote gnaws …
but he does not swallow.

Ok I gotta say something about not knowing how to pump your own gas…

Now, let me say that I’ve driven through NJ many times and I actually like having my gas pumped for me, but that isn’t the point here.

How does one actually manage to not know how to pump gas? Especially in a small state like NJ? I mean have you really never driven outside your state before? That just freaks me out.

I grew up in a really big state (AZ) where you had to drive for 6 hours to hit the nearest US state border (shorter to mexico) but I still drove out of state more times than I can count. (and have driven from one coast to the other many times)

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Opal- well, of course I can now, and yes I had driven out of state a few times, in those instances I either a) seeked out a full-serve station, b) had someone with me that did it, c)make it back to Jersey on less than one tank of gas(NY,CT,DE,PA) or d)(I admit this one is a bit much) bat my eyelashes at the nearest man and expalin my situation. (I never had someone say no). And I don’t really mind it, but in the winter I do wish I was in Jersey :wink:

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

I’ve been driving for two years; I’m from NJ; three weeks ago was the first time I’ve ever pumped gas (I had to fill the tank in NY). I had no idea what to do. I mean it’s not difficult, but if you’ve never done it before, it’s not as intuitive as it seems. Even if you’ve seen other people do it. My main point of puzzlement was figuring out that you pay AFTER you pump; that just seems way too trustworthy. Shouldn’t there be a key or something, like there is for the bathroom? Weird.

Best part about NJ: people pump the gas for you and it’s STILL cheaper!

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

Ok-- a related question: what doesn’t suck about N.J.? Because I’m thinking about going to school in the central part. Can anyone tell me anything good about it (I’ve heard lots of bad things, of course-- the popular imagination has it in for the place)?

M.K., are you thinking of Rutgers? Cause that area is one of the more sucky ones. But if you’re thinking of Drew or FDU or Princeton, theses are all in very pleasant areas. I think most people from out of state come here thinking it’s all Newark. It isn’t. NJ is the Garden State for a reason. Once you get off that urban strip on the NE corner it’s a pretty nice state.

NJ and no self-serve gas pumping: It can’t be because of unions because gas station attendants aren’t unionized. It’s simple – NJ legislators saw that self-serve did not lower prices in other states. Densely populated NJ also does not like the idea of unattended gas pumps, or fire bombs, as pyros like to call them.

How can someone from NJ never learn to pump gas? Simple, with NYC and Philly right over the border, there is never any need to pump gas in another state. NJians avoid doing that at all costs because the gas in other states costs more. And when a NJian is forced to fuel up in a foreign state, there is always the optional full-service option at many stations, which a NJian will gladly pay more for in order to avoid the unpleasant task.

The first time I pumped my own gas, I remember smelling the gas on my hands and wondering how the foul people of other states could smell like that at home or work.

Peace.

I just remembered the aother reason I hate New Jersey.

JUG HANDLES

I feel like every single one of the road engineers in New Jersey is just trying to stick it to me just because Im from Pennsylvania whenever, GOD FORBID, I make a wrong turn.

One night I drove 10 F’N MINUTES out of my way- to get across the state!!!

SCREW YOU, NEW JERSEY! I wish you WOULD fall into the ocean!

Except for Cape May, of course.

Help out someone whose never been on more than a four-lane road: What’s a “jug handle?”