Why does the filter part of a cigarette look like that?

Why on earth is it that in most cases the paper surrounding a cigarette filter has that weird brownish color with a sort of pattern to it - almost like faux wood grain or something?

What effect are they going for, when did they start doing it, and why?

Thanks dopers.

You’re describing a cork tip.

The brown paper is supposed to look like a cork tip, which is apparently something that was done with cigarettes a long time ago.

I used to smoke a brand (Marlboro) that had the faux-cork tip. I then switched to Marlboro Lights, and now to Marlboro Ultra-Lights, both of which have white tips. I must say I miss the brown paper. There’s no reason why I should, I know, but I like the cork-tip better.

A-ha! I figured they were trying to give the impression of continuing to use some kind of traditional manufacturing method/materials, but I had no idea what that might be. Instead of being impressed, I just wondered why they thought I wanted my filter to be made of wood :confused:

Cigarette holders once, & in Europe still do, serve the same function as a filter.
Or so I’m told.

1. Welcome back, Lucki!

2. Had a pack of Turkish cigs with cork tips. Dried the hell out of my lips.

Another question: are all cigarette filter types, not just brands but the individual varieties, unique. I’ve noticed not only the “cork” coloring, but also bands, and different colors for lettering, etc. My theory is that each variety must be unique so that if one is found at a crime scene it can be reliably identified.

Any ideas on that?