Why does the SDMB condone cyber bullying?

This really feels more like “people are saying mean things about someone I like” than it does bullying. It doesn’t really fit with any connotation of bullying that makes any sense to me.

So you’re saying Broomstick’s claim that her husband somehow sat on a Weber grill and branded the logo backwards on his ass is an obvious joke, after she repeatedly insisted it’s the god honest truth?

If it’s the thread I think you mean, I believe it was MOVED TO THE PIT, and the guy WAS called out on his bullshit.

Like it or not, the Pit is a place where people do get called out for their actions. Don’t like it? Don’t read it. It’s as simple as that. You post something, you’re going to have to deal with the consequences of what you post. It’s not “cyberbullying”. It’s making someone own up to their claims.

So get down off of that steed, put your sword away, and chillax.

ETA: And actually, IIRC, you don’t like it when people make jokes. Because it’s breaking the rules to “whoosh” someone. :rolleyes:

I like this new “are they as bad as a neo-Nazi holocaust denier?” rule of thumb for deciding if someone can be criticized.

I’m old-school here. Bullying involves physical contact. To me, “cyber-bullying” is almost oxymoronic. They can’t take your lunch money and pull your pants down and smear mud on your face and break your glasses and shove you into the urinal.

But…if the word really does extend into text-only harassment, then you’re still right: the level of snark here doesn’t rise to that level. No death threats. No invitations to inflict bodily harm. No stalking threats. No floods of hostile posts on other social media.

Even The Pit has rules, and they haven’t been violated.

“So, Julie, did I ever tell you about my Uncle Sid?”

“No, Gabe. Why don’t you go ahead and tell me?”

“Well, one day Uncle Sid was standing on the corner peeling an apple when this policeman comes along…”

DrDeth, do you honest-to-god believe that the thread is ONLY about the grill story?

Since you cross-posted, I guess I will too…

No you don’t get it. The situation you describe is nothing like what Broomstick does. You know, you should actually read her posts that we’re talking about before you go on like this.

In regards to the cyber-bullying, no one is stalking Broomstick. No one is calling him/her at home, no one is sending him/her threatening emails, no one is toilet papering his/her house. No one is making up lies about him/her. Broomstick is reaching out to public message board. If she is that disturbed by all of this all he/she has to do is stop reading and it will be over.

I get it, you don’t like it. But that doesn’t mean it rises to the level of atrocities that you claim it does.

Nobody is “cyberbullying” anyone. Nobody is contacting Broomstick by e-mail, or spamming her on Twitter or Facebook (if she has one). (At least, as far as I know) Nobody posted anything like, “I hope you get raped you fucking bitch”, or “you should just go kill yourself, you stupid twat”.

If you (as in a general you, not anyone specific) have a habit of being an asshole and pissing people off, and making up bullshit, people are going to call you on it. You’re going to get pitted. And yes, past behavior will be brought up, to point out that you have a habit of acting this way.
And quite frankly, DrDeth, it’s not like you haven’t flamed people before. So quit pulling this, “YOU’RE BEING MEAN!!!”

In short: don’t talk the talk if you can’t walk the walk.

Ya know who else I bet couldn’t afterwards walk the walk? Broomstick’s spouse.

I call for a DopeFest Cite Barbecue at Broomstick’s to check out this alleged grill and Weber or not it can get hot enough to brand an alleged spouse’s ass. We can hold it on Black Friday or Ash Wednesday.

Again with Evil Ash.

“What.”

Oh… what’s to explain? I have received, once or twice, a PM from a Power That Bes, that I or something I posted on was being shit on - just a verb. sap. to make sure I knew the discussion was going on. I don’t think it’s the mods’ job to do this on any regular basis but in the cases I recall it was something going on beyond my radar that they thought I should at least see.

:dubious:

I’ve never heard of any mod doing this ever.

Dr Deth I have to agree with others:

The Pit, and, the thread, are performing as designed.

You seem unclear as to the meaning of “cyber-bullying”.

Now you have. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to say anything. :slight_smile:

Mods are the worst when it comes to being a jerk. Anybody else you can pit them, but Mods, you say anything and they gang up on you.

That isn’t true. There have been several instances when mods have policed themselves, reversing decisions, etc. They aren’t a cabal, but a committee; they don’t “gang up,” but “deliberate.”

They make mistakes – human, y’know? But they’re a damn sight better at correcting their mistakes than a hell of a lot of individual debate participants here.

They do a better job here than in ANY other general-topics open-discussion board I’ve ever seen. Many boards are controlled in a harsh, tight, dictatorial fashion, where you get banned for disagreeing. (e.g., UFO forums, where skepticism gets you kicked out.) Others are insufficiently policed, where all forums and threads look like The Pit, here.

I’ve never seen a site that is closer to the Ideal Golden Mean.

I would prove my point, but that would bring the wrath

Maybe they were acting in their personal quality, as opposed to in an official function.

Moderator Note

This post is only about the poster, and has nothing at all to do with the message board. ATMB is not the appropriate forum for such posts. If you feel that you must make this sort of comment, please do so in the Pit, not in ATMB.