Why doesn't the fake diamond industry advertise?

It’s a conspiracy, huh?

Actually, as scary as it sounds, it is.

De Beers is fighting tooth and nail to get ‘fake’ or synthetic diamonds outlawed, or at the very least, blatently marked as being ‘fake.’ They say it will topple the diamond industry (read: them) by flooding the market with ‘fake’ diamonds being sold as real ones, causing all sorts of chaos that no one wants!

That’s what I think. But how could Du Beers get them banned? Du Beers can (and does) mark their diamonds with laser. It’s not up to the synthetic makers to protect the diamond industry’s monopoly.
There are synthetics that are so good that it takes a proficient examiner to distinguish one from a diamond. Most jewelers, as I understand, are tipped off simply because the synthetic is too good. A synthetic can offer a prettier and bigger (read better) gem for a lot less. All it would take is for someone famous to wear a $1000 diamond and a $1000 syn on the same hand and say something like "I’m no fool, give me the big one.
But, is there something underhanded going on? Du Beers does have a shady past.

I would like to learn more about DeBeers’ “shady past.” I’ve heard my entire life about their history of bad business dealings and human rights abuses, and I want to find out more about them. If I ever get engaged (God forbid), I want to have facts and cites to explain to the girl why I’ll buy her any jewelry she wants, a world-class honeymoon vacation, our dream home, anything, but not a diamond.

Plus, all the pressure by DeBeers has made it so you’re a loser if you don’t get a REAL DIAMOND. Which pisses me off. If I ever get engaged, I will make it very clear that I will NEVER accept one of those blood stones.

Evil as they may be, you can’t help admiring the sheer gall of De Beers!

I mean, why didn’t Anheuser-Busch ever think of an advertising campaign that said “You must spend 6 months of your annual salary on beer each year?” Why didn’t Sony think of commercials telling us we had to spend six months salary on our televisions?

De Beers actually had the gall to tell men they had an obligation to spend 6 months’ salary on diamond engagement rings… and people actually SWALLOWED it!!!

To me, that’s genius!

Just google “De Beers”. There’s plenty there. Too much to link to.

It’s just not like capitalists to not jump right into what seems to me a ready-made market. Synthetics have some very good selling points, and I have yet to see even one tv commercial selling these points. All they would need would be a tiny fraction of the gem market to make a ton of cash. You can buy them, but you have to go look for them.
That’s weird. :dubious:

Well, honestly, the DeBeers cartel is so powerful, that it’s pretty much at the point that yes, synthetics could advertise, but they couldn’t really get away with a tiny disclaimer at the bottom saying they were synthetic, or grown in a lab. Pretty much, the commercial would have to sound like this:

“This Christmas, get her a SYNTHETIC, FAKE diamond. It’s cheaper.”

Why even call it a diamond?

“Cubic Zirconium: because you’re cheap.”

or

“Cubic Zirconium: only you’ll know!”

Here is a link to the transcript of a PBS Frontline program on De Beers and the Oppenheimers (the family that controls it). In some ways, this is one situation where truth really is stranger than fiction. For example, De Beers and its advertising agency actually created the tradition of the diamond engagement ring in Japan.

As for how the synthetic diamond industry can market its product, it could take a page from the playbook of the Canadian diamond mines, which market their product as “conflict-free.” The synthetic diamond companies can make the same claim and might also add that production of their product doesn’t require raping the environment.

Or they could do something more like this.
There are others that brag about not being “real” diamonds.

Well, are we talking about fake diamonds, like cubic zirconia or moissanite, or artificial diamonds, made of actual carbon in a lab? If the latter, the technology is still in its infancy and not very mature yet. They’re making some tiny diamonds for industry and small amounts of yellow diamond for jewelry, but I don’t think any of them are mass-producing clear diamonds for jewelry at this point.

I like colored stones better anyway. Rubies, sapphires, etc.

We’re talking synthetic diamonds, not zirconias. And according to that article there’s a couple of companies getting ready for the market to explode.

I’ve seen big, half-page newspaper ads here in NZ: major selling points they stress are price, size and quality {I have no idea what the scale for rating diamonds is, but if the ads are right, all but the most expensive of mined diamonds have at least some flaws in colour and structure, whereas apparently these things are damn near flawless} - interestingly, they really talk up the moral angle.

Now, now, now, you have to know how to spin it properly:

“Our diamonds are MADE IN AMERICA!”

I’m waiting for the DeBeer’s folks to lobby the FTC and Congress to require that the word “diamond” can only be applied to those stones that are mined and not grown.

Or, perhaps they already are and it’s just a matter of getting it tacked onto some other piece of legislation.

I recently bought a “real” diamond (it was a steal, but apparently I can’t press charges for the theft). When I took it to get appraised, I made small talk with the appraiser, asking her if she’d heard of the Russian guy who had made a few handfuls of 2-carat gemstone quality diamonds. She had.

I asked her what she thought about those, did they pose a threat to her line of work, etc. – and she said basically no. She makes most of her money appraising metal jewelry, and does diamonds because there’s a market for it. If all diamonds become devalued, she would have to work a little harder to keep up with the newest ways of making a “fake,” but she was of the opinion that if it’s a solid piece of crystalline carbon, she can put a price tag on it that most people would agree to pay. And she didn’t care where it came from.

I talked to my fiancée about the manmade diamonds, however – trying to ensure I wasn’t going to hand her something and discover that she was violently opposed to “blood diamonds”. She told me she wanted a “real” diamond; to assuage my own conscience, I checked the certification of the diamond’s origin (it’s “blood free guarantee”). My jeweler insists that he will not traffic in conflict diamonds, so it was okay. However, I’m still a little bummed that I had to go through the DeBeers monopoly. I look forward to a day when the synthetics are readily available.

Well, they’re aren’t cubic zirconium. The yARE diamonds (pure carbon,) but De Beers is basically trying as best it can to lobby to EVERYONE that they should be labeled as fake, since they weren’t ripped from the earth with slave labor.

If I ever get married, I will try as best I can to not get a cartel diamond (either one from one of the very few other diamond mining/processing companies, or synthetic.) Obviously, thugh, I would discuss it with my fiance (well, probably soon-to-be fiance, since the diamond is usually part of the asking process.)

Personally, I see nothing worse about synthetics, but I can see the apeeal of real. I mean, it’s a cool-looking gemstone that took millions of years to form, and it’s yours! But if you want thast, then get a gemstone with less conflict around it, like a saphirre or ruby. Besides, color gemstones look nicer anyways.