Why don't helicopters ever break down and fall out of the sky?

Here are some videos of autorotations:

0-Speed Autorotation from 100-200 feet, R22 helicopter
R-44 Full Down Auto
Helicopter in autorotation to ground. The horn you hear is the low rotor RPM warning horn.
Full down autorotaions
0 Knots 1000ft Autorrotation R22

It’s a little hard to see on the last one, but the instrument in the upper-right corner of the panel is the tach. The Robbo uses intersecting needles showing the percentage of engine RPM and rotor RPM. If you look carefully, you can see that the engine RPM needle (on the left of the gauge) is at idle, and the rotor RPM is near the top. The warning horn sounds a couple of times, but it’s designed to warn the pilot before the rotor RPM gets too low.

I presume loss of tail rotor would always be catastrophic? Is there anything to get round this circumstance?

Also, I speculate that anything that locked up the rotors would be Bad News indeed, unlike on a plane where the glide apparatus comprises some big static surfaces.

Can a pilot disabuse me of the above layman’s fears?

I’ll refer this to the helo pilots. I’m not aware of any “save” for a true tail rotor failure. Perhaps twin rotors that rotate in opposite directions would allow for operations without tail rotors, but with a single rotor system I think the tail rotor is essential for stability and control.

Correct. The spinning of the rotors is what generates the lift. No spin, no lift. If the rotors stop there is nothing left to hold you up, the drag generated by the helicopter structure will not significantly slow your descent. You will hit the ground hard.

Tail rotor failures are nothing to sneeze at. But what the tail rotor is, is the anti-torque rotor. If it fails, just remove the torque. That is, chop the power and enter autorotation. You might get some yaw just because of friction, but that’s OK. It is also possible to extend your glide by carefully applying power. This will allow you to go a greater distance, but will also introduce yaw. In any case, just enter autorotation and be sure to hold the throttle closed when you flare.

I’ve never heard of rotors ‘locking up’, unless someone posted an instance in another thread once. Not something I’d worry about.

One big killer in helicopters (other than things like wire strikes) is low rotor RPM. I saw a video of a helicopter that ‘just fell out of the sky’ when the pilot failed to maintain proper rotor RPM. Low rotor RPM (letting the rotors get too slow) or retreating blade stall (flying too fast, so the retreating blade loses lift) can result in mast-bumping or blowback. Either can cause a rotor blade to slice into the boom (‘boom chop’). The R22 manual appendix notes use the word ‘doomed’. Mast-bumping may also cause damage such that the rotor system departs the aircraft. I hasten to add that these situations are avoided by proper training and technique.

Ah. Here it is (edited to fix pdf-to-html scan errors and to add emphasis to ‘doomed’ line – .pdf version):

I always figured that was the throttle. I’m not understanding this autorotation thing. Seems like descending once the engine stalls would be like unplugging a small electric fan and blowing in the front of it (against the wind) to keep it going. That’s just going to slow it down and make it spin in reverse. The main rotor pushes air down, so how is going down going to keep it spinning?

Just kicking some numbers around that doesn’t sound right. It would take a best-glide speed of almost 400 mph which is probably double that of an airliner. Coming off of 34,000 feet I would expect something closer to a 50 mile radius assuming ground level is sea level. I’m guessing there were some serious tail winds or the captain took advantage of some rising currents or both.

The throttle, which is like a motorcycle throttle, is at the end of the collective lever.

I posted a link to Wiki’s explanation of autorotation in post #3, but this page is better. Much more thorough, and with more illustrations.

Don’t think of it as a fan pushing air down. Think of it as an airplane wing; only instead of being pulled through the air by the propeller, it is pushed through the air by the engine. Here’s the part that explains in a nutshell why the rotor doesn’t spin backwards:

[quote]
[ul][li]The driven region, also called the propeller region, is nearest to the blade tips and normally consists of about 30 percent of the radius. The total aerodynamic force in this region is inclined slightly behind the rotating axis. This results in a drag force which tends to slow the rotation fo the blade.[/li][li]The driving region or autorotative region, normally lies between about 25 to 70 percent of the blade radius. Total aerodynamic force in this region is inclined slightly forward of the axis of rotation. This inclination supplies thrust which tends to accelerate the rotation of the blade.[/ul][/li][/quote]

So the air coming up through the driving region allows the driving region to generate thrust, which drives the driven region. The driven region’s drag counteracts the driving region’s thrust, but also produces lift.

The Airbus A330 has a cruising speed of about 550mph. The best glide speed is about 220.

Here’s the official report: 65 miles. http://www.moptc.pt/tempfiles/20060608181643moptc.pdf

A NBC -NY News Channel 4 helicopter crashed in 2004. The pilot managed to land on a roof and not crash in the street, where a police chase was going on.

Here is the video Newscopter 7 took. Scarey.

That looks like a tail rotor failure (and I think I might have had that confirmed at some point, but I’m not sure). Unfortunately, autorotation does require a place to set down.

Really? Next time Ill get him to do that instead of contour flying …

Contour flying is fun, too; but it was frowned upon by the place I rented.

Also fun is landing on a plateau, getting as much speed as you can, as close to the ground as is safe, and flying over the edge.

But autos are like a roller coaster.

Not if it’s done with style.

Does autorotation work for two-rotor aircraft like the CH-47 Chinook, or the V-22 Osprey?

It works for tandem-rotor helicopters (not that I have any experience). I don’t know about the Osprey, but I assume it can.

I’m pretty sure the Osprey’s rotors are interconnected via a drive shaft. I’ll try to confirm this, but I remember reading that either engine (in case of an engine failure) could drive both rotors sufficient for a semi-normal landing.

converted to miles that would be 253 mph or 4.2 miles per minute and the distance of 65 nautical miles is 74 statute miles. if they were descending at 2000 fpm then they had 17 minutes of time from 34,000 feet. 17 minutes times 4.2 miles per minutes equals 71.7 miles which is very close to the 74 miles flown.

Yes, the rotors are interconnected (as they are on tandem helicopters as well).

According to this page, the V-22 Osprey does have freewheeling units for autorotation.

As an aside, the B747 has a glide ratio of about 17:1, that would give them a glide distance of around 100nm from 36000 feet, so those sort of glide distances are not unreasonable. Airliners are very good gliders despite their size.