Why don't police prefer the term "cop"?

No, it isn’t. We’re trying to fight ignorance here, not perpetuate it.

I’ve looked at your link above, and I don’t see your unattributed quote anywhere. In any event, the second sentence of your quote (that of being “considered equally valid by historians”) is simply untrue.

I foresee problems for you here if you always react this way when someone calls you on presenting misinformation.

Okay, kids, settle down. The Master speaks:

LOL. Well, yes, but, I was responding to my original post. :smack: You see, in it, I promised to go look up my first answer.

Cool :cool:, Khadaji.
Now that the two of us know we got it right we can quit smacking ourselves in the head. In the eye, actually.
Ow. :smiley:

I was always taught that “cop” was disrespectful and insulting and was told to only use “police officer.” I am still somewhat shocked when I hear news anchors refer to “cops.”

Of course, I am very, very old.

My cousin and her husband are both in law enforcement (she’s a bailiff, he’s a policeman.) Whenever they come to visit, we shout “Watch out! The cops are here!” Hilarity ensues.

They always bring donuts. :slight_smile:

regardless of it’s etymology, i don’t think that the word cop has an honorable history. (i my be mistaken, though) it used to be a pejorative. i remember, vaguely, a movie from the 30s or 40s in which a cop called a woman a broad and she said ‘women hate being called broads almost as much as a policeman hates being called a cop!’.
i can’t remember the movie, but the broad was very pretty.