Why hasn't anyone pitted fries made from potato flour?

I saw a thread in Cafe Soc and I thought it needed louder words: I weep for this generation. I think they will never enjoy real potato strings and wedges with their burgers. And even if they tried it at home (or in Germany), their taste buds will already have been so corrupted they’ll probably find the taste strange.

How could we, the older generation, who as kids watched burger stands peel and slice real potatoes, allow this to happen?

Hell, they were using some sort of dehydrated powdered potatoes to make fries at least 35 years ago. This shocked me to my core. A whole generation, at least, has grown up with the idea that it’s OK to make fries from overly processed potatoes.

We didn’t. We all moved our business to In-N-Out where they still slice and fry the potatoes.

Whose fries are made with potato flour?

there’s no bad way to eat taters.

I’m still amazed that anyone buys Pringles [tm] - fake chips. If people happily consume this crap, why would object to fake fries?

Well, some of us like them better. Happy to eat Pringles or Lay’s Stackers, even more pleased with Skinny Fries (from Trader Joe’s), still yearn for Chipsters. We like crunch, and consider greasy potato goo a simple waste of calories.

Now real frites . . . if you can find them in the US I’ll happily join you for a plate.

Pringles are awesome space age food.

What makes you say that fries from potatoes are particularly German? Just curious, since I don’t think the fries in major fast food chains are any different from the US.

You know, I’m aware that I legally should have my taste buds removed for even thinking it, but… I don’t really like the fries at In-N-Out. :eek: They’re a bit too soggy for my taste, never as crunchy as their brothers from other places. I believe it’s a great idea and it should be superior in every way, but I can’t bring myself to like them very much.

Well, I guess I’m officially a part of that corrupted generation. :frowning:

What fries are we decrying, specifically? Being part of this younger generation (I guess), I have no idea what you’re talking about.

You know that thing you like? It sucks.

ETA: that wasn’t a defensive statement in support of reconstituted fries, but for example, what kind of cheese is on your burger?

Add me to the chorus of those who have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Me too. McDonalds has numerous videos and descriptions of their french fry process out there, none of which include turning potato flour into a molded french fry.

One Sample

How about a video?

I mean, sure they’re not hand cut at the restaurant, but it’s a fresh potato, sliced into fry form, and kids from this generation get to eat them.

More than 35 years ago. My college dining hall switched to “Frispos”. A quick internet search shows that they also used to serve them, formed into crinkle-cut form (our weren’t) at Carl’s Jr., but that Carl’s jr apparently no longer serves them.
This site implies that they’re still sold, somewhere. But I haven’t seen them in ages. All the fast food joint I know of sell non-reconstituted fries. Some outlets, like Five Guys, brag about the quality of their fries.

http://wiki.egullet.org/index.php?title=French_fries

I find a couple of vaguely conspiracy theoryish claims that McDonald’s *really *uses potato flour, wheat flour and all manner of things and molds their fries. Which makes me wonder…what do they use for the occasional “eye” and black spot? What french fry artiste is carefully airbrushing small chlorophyll-green smudges on the tip of one out of every 500 or so fries, and how do I train for his job? :rolleyes:

CalMeacham, if you’re nostalgic for Frispos, try Smiles. Food service goodness now in your freezer aisle…and they’re gluten free! They’re a “sometimes food” in our house. :slight_smile:

Maybe we can redirect the thread into a complain about “oniony rings” that literally taste like paper. With a bit of sugar pasted on it. I appreciated real onion rings and do not purchase fake ones if I can help it.

And they still suck, despite being “real” french fried potatoes.

This isn’t about slamming McDonalds’ fries in particular, but rather about not seeing a correlation between whether they’re actually sliced potatoes, and whether they’re worth eating.

Pringles are different. They’re a specifically different animal than regular chips.

In-N-Out fries are just barely acceptable as-is. Make them Animal Style, however, and they are the single best thing on any fast-food chain’s menu.

You’re nuts. McDonald’s fry are the platonic idea for that skinless style of fry. My criterium for a great fry is one which does not require the addition of any condiment. It may be enhanced by a condiment, but should not require it. McDonald’s fries are perfect in this regard: great textural balance between crisp outside and light, pillowy inside, just the right amount of salt, delicate potato flavor. They are perfect.

Now, they are not my favorite. I prefer skin-on fries with a slightly mealier more potato-y interior. I’m not sure exactly how to describe them, but they have a stronger flavor to them. Fries like this or this. But that doesn’t mean McDonald’s fries aren’t excellent for their style.