Why hasn't anyone pitted fries made from potato flour?

Aquarium food is the worst food possible. Everyone knows that.

Has anybody figured out what the OP was smoking yesterday evening?

Agree with puly - McDonalds fries are perfect. Not my favorite, either, but perfect for what they are. My favorite fries are at The Hat - great on their own, best as a base for chili, cheese, pickles, tomatoes and pastrami. One order serves 4 people.

They shouldn’t require the subtraction of condiments, either. They’re oversalted. Light, pillowy inside?? They barely have an inside. I’m willing to take it as read that they’re made by cutting and frying potatoes, but it hardly matters in their case.

There’s a reason why they call them just ‘fries’ - at their degree of thinness, they could be French fried almost anything, because there is no inside to speak of. The fry is just a collection point for the grease they’re fried in, and the salt they dump too heavily over them.

And once they cool, they go from being merely overrated to being awful.
ETA: if you want fries worth eating, I recommend Bojangles’ cajun fries.

Yeah, depends where you are. So far as I know, in Canada they don’t have “beef flavoring” in them, but in the US, they still seem to. In the UK they also appear to be vegan. Don’t know about the rest of Europe or the world, though. (I would assume they’re free of beef products in India, too.)

Well that one was real.
Horse meat in UK & Spain Taco Bells:

But I think you might mean the broo-ha-ha two years ago over the meat in the US.

Which was pretty stupid because

1. the rest of the grouping of taco meat was basically soy and wheat products. Not particularly harmful.
  2. what in the hell did you expect, paying 79 cents for a taco?

Well, de gustibus and all that. I strongly disagree.

It’s the slow learners. :eek:

But that’s not how it all ended. The filling for a Taco Bell ground beef taco is 88% beef, and 12% flavorings (including a little bit of oats to keep it moist.) It’s not like it’s mostly filler with a little bit of beef. It’s by far mostly beef.

This is the one I meant. I forgot about the brouhaha over in the UK and Spain (my news is quite US-centric).

The original claim was that less than 30% of the taco meat was beef, which is silly on its face. Turns out they were using what was left after water was removed as a basis for their complaint. I should complain about our new hires the same way. I was promised 1 college graduate and I got mostly water instead.

Order them Fries Well Done (you can do the same to the bread asking for extra toast - they will toast it more and it makes a difference). Without that, I agree - too soft unless you are eating them immediately.

I’ve done In N Out fries well done. It doesn’t quite do it. Never had them Animal Style, though. That seems like overkill to me–fries should be good without that sort of treatment. Best damned fast food burgers I’ve ever had, though.

+1

I enjoy In-n-Out burgers; they’re a great example of the genre (as a burger aficionado, I reject the concept of a single “best burger” - there are too many subtypes). However, their fries are among my least favorite.

I want to know where the OP has eaten these potato flour fries. I HATE Pringles and prefer my fries thick with skin on them.

Yeah, that was asked all the way back in post #4, and still no answer. I’m still curious. I have no doubt it’s done–I’m just struggling to figure out who does it. Maybe some frozen bags of fries you buy at the store?

I actually have no issue with it in theory. I want to see how they compare with the typical fry made from a real potato.

Real fries should be made of fresh thick-cut potatoes, twice fried in pure beef tallow. Anything else is an abomination.

Ehh, I’m sympathetic to the idea that fries should be vegetarian. That may be the tastiest way to do it to omnivores, but still.

I’m about ready to pit anyone who uses the word “abomination” in a food thread to mean “something that is slightly less tasty”. We get it, you have an opinion.

Ok, if you guys insist on a cite, here’s an informal one from wiki-answers:

According to McDonalds this is a list of the ingredients in their fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

It doesn’t mean they squeeze mashed taters or extrude them using tater flour but I hate the end result all the same. Even if it’s whole-cut potatoes, I hate the process of treating them with something, dessicating, and then transport them over a long distance in plastic bags.

Satisfied, kids?

Nope.

Rail against preservatives in food if you like, but it is a gigantic difference between that and claiming that they -or anyone else - makes fries out of reconstituted potato flour.

And last I checked, they’re frozen, not “desiccated”, like about every other fast food fry out there.

Freezing something kinda dries it out, you know.