Why hasn't New York City hosted the Summer Olympics?

Why hasn’t New York City ever hosted the Summer Olympics? It’s one of the biggest and most famous cities in the world, and an international hub, with people and businesses from all over the world.

I’m going to go with too smart to do so. The Olympics is a terrible joke run by a very corrupt organization. Why would NYC want that headache?

Besides most cities lose money on the Olympics. It is a either a suckers bet or a prestige thing and NYC doesn’t need the shit-stained prestige of the Olympics.

Because they realize it’s a huge money-loser for the city, with an enormous negative impact on the residents for years. Also, since it is one of the biggest and most famous cities in the world, it really doesn’t have a need to promote itself.

Plus the fact they’d have to hold about 90% of the events across the river in New Jersey, and who wants to go there?

Then why did Mayors Rudy Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg campaign so hard to try and get the 2012 Olympics? Whatever the answer is, it’s not that NYC didn’t want to.

I think the real answer is that there are so many specialized venues that any city, even one as large as NYC has to build some from scratch, and real estate is just too expensive there to do that unless it can be repurposed for the few money making sports that already have venues there.

The Mayors by themselves are NYC?

The fact that more than enough leaders didn’t join in on their plan is sufficient to show there was no need. Considering the kind of money that could have been brought to bear.

No shortage of New Yorkers and Jersey Folks wanting nothing to do with this stupidity and I recall the polls being against the Mayors’ plans.

New York made an official bid for the 2012 Olympics. If the IOC had accepted, it would have been held in NYC, not London.

Which the residents were not in favor of. Has happened in many cities in fact. How did the bids compare?

Well, London, too, is one of the biggest and most famous cities in the world, with no need to promote itself, but it did host the Summer Olympics.

Was it a smart move?

I have no idea how the IOC makes their decisions, but my point stands; your supposition that NYC hasn’t hosted the games because they just didn’t want to is wrong. They haven’t hosted the games because the IOC rejected them.

It would be bad publicity if favored athletes missed out on competition because they were held up by bumper-to-bumper traffic on the FDR Drive or Long Island Expressway.

NYC didn’t want the games. The fact that the Mayors went for it doesn’t change that.

But that’s not why they haven’t hosted them. They would have if the IOC had not rejected their bid. You are ignoring the OP’s question.

So lets see the NYC bid was unpopular locally. NY State did not approve the construction of the West Side Stadium. The bid was never considered all that strong apparently.

What part of his question am I ignoring?

NYC hasn’t hosted the Olympics as New Yorkers don’t actually want to put up with this nonsense.

I’m trying to think back, I feel like the only reason this nonsense had any momentum at all was playing on Patriotism with 9/11.

“Doesn’t really need to promote itself because it’s one of the biggest and most famous cities in the world” is a bad argument.

Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Paris are some of the biggest and most famous cities in the world, and they’ve all hosted/will host the Summer Games.

Good grief! I’m done.

NYC has been the #1 Tourist destination city in the US for over 20 years.
Why do they need the Summer Olympics?

Question: Did London make money or lose money on theirs?

Nobody is arguing that NYC hosting the Olympics would be popular among New Yorkers or profitable for the city. However, the question isn’t about those things. The question is why NYC hasn’t hosted the Olympics.

If the IOC accepted NYC’s bid then NYC would have hosted the Olympics despite it being a bad and unpopular idea, so clearly “it would be a bad and unpopular idea” cannot be the correct answer to the OP’s question.

What’s with this derail and the weird insistence that local resistance to the idea is what has kept NYC from hosting the games? Local resistance is pretty much ubiquitous for bids in the last several decades and your only “cite” so far in this thread seem to indicate NYC biggest issue was being in North America and the IOC not wanting to follow the Vancouver winter olympics with another NAm olympics.

NYC has, however, only applied this once to the IOC, apparently winning some internal US contest. That’s much better evidence of your conjecture, though “haven’t really tried” isn’t exactly “locals aren’t interested”. Anyone have data on whether NYC has thrown their hat into the USOC ring previously and been rejected?