Why have yellow and white as colors for RCA cables?

I was plugging my old Dreamcast into the back of my tv last night and, in the dark and shadow back there, once again cursed the fact that out of the rainbow of colors available, two of the three RCA connectors look exactly the same in low light. Who made the decision to have red, white, and yellow be the offical connector colors? Why not blue or green instead of yellow? I understand that red and white are audio jacks, and their color scheme makes them easy to tell the two apart. But adding yellow into the mix? It makes no sense, esecially considering the majority televisions, DVD players, and recievers have the jacks on the back.

Well, this is sort of a guess, but blue, green, black, and gray were already in use for video signals on a different type of cable (component video/VGA) which made yellow a decent choice for composite video (which is what you are talking about)

Incidentally, the new digital audio jack is orange, lending a bit of credence to the idea that maybe they just pick the next “basic” color they can come up with.

What “official” colors? I have audio cables in red/white, red/black, white/black, gray/gray with stripe and red/red with stripe. I have video cables in green, yellow and gray.

I wish there WERE official colors.

I couldn’t find an IEEE or ANSI/TIA/EIA standard for commercial connecter color coding. Suspect each manufacturer has their own ‘standard.’