Why haven't these books been made into movies?

He’s explained that he does not feel that the comedy of his fiction would translate easily to the screen, but any of Carl Hiaasen’s Florida-based books would seem like really good source material for a movie, and have recurring characters that could result in a franchise.

^ Yes. In the style of “Get Shorty” or “Big Trouble.”

That’s what I said!

I need to re-read it though. It’s been something like 25 years since I last did. Been going with the F. Murray Abraham version of a book on tape since.

Tripler
. . . just gotta add that to the list of books I want to read.

Stephen King is pretty hard to put into movies - although there have been some great adaptations

• didn’t like the Shining
  • Christine did well
  • Firestarter and Carrie were both good

Almost anything from Wilbur Smith would be great to see - the Courtneys and Ballantynes would translate well I think
Some of the stuff around the development of Apartheid could play really well

Maybe James Clavell - King Rat, but more particularly Noble House?

Don’t forget the two prison stories.

Noble House was made into a miniseries. And King Rat was adapted for a film.

Shawshank Redemption was good (haven’t red the book)
Green Mile - read the book but not seen the movie
The Birds - thought the movie was a failure
Dreamcatcher was a great read - can’t imagine it would translate well to a movie though, or The Dark Half

I’ve done both; they did a very admirable job condensing all those words into a 3¼ hour movie.

They did make Dreamcatcher into a movie, I liked much of it, hated other parts.

The Dead Zone made a great film, I thought. They also did a good job with Cujo. Stand by Me (based on King’s The Body) was excellent.

I’d say that overall, movies based on King books are pretty decent ones. But there are so many of them, you could make an entire Wikipedia site out of it.

Oh, wait… they did

Decent television series too.

I’d say “Misery” was the high water mark for a King adaptation.

In my opinion it reached “The silence of the lambs” levels of great book/great film parity. To the point where it didn’t matter if you read the book or watched the film first, you could enjoy them both equally.

Green Mile the film is excellent.

I’ll second that. I’ve read Eye of the Tiger, and seen both Dark of the Sun and Shout at the Devil.

I would like to see Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light as a film.

I would too, but for anyone who doesn’t know it, that was the script the CIA used as the basis of the Tehran rescue. A movie could still happen, on cable or a streaming service. But the script needed to be sitting in that slush pile at that time, so it could serve a higher purpose than being a movie.

(I wonder if Zelazny ever knew that? He died in 1995, so it’s a cinch he didn’t see Argo. And at the time. what the CIA was doing was nothing like “optioning”, so he probably wouldn’t have been asked to sign off on it, if he even owned the script itself. Still, whether he knew or not, it’s another reason he rocks/ed!)

It wasn’t so much the script as the conceptual drawings that convinced the CIA to use that as the movie for their cover. The conceptual drawings were done by legendary comic artist Jack Kirby. Someone who’s supposed to be Kirby actually appears in the film Argo, but you wouldn’t know it unless you read the credits at the end (I always do; obsessive-compulsive, I am), because they don’t say his name in the film.
Kirby had drawn the setting for the film (and the amusement park they were going to build based on it – they had ambitious plans) as a middle-eastern-looking city, with oriental domes and the like. I’m sure that the CIA took one look at those and figured they could use these conceptual sketches to convince the local authorities why the film had to be made in a middle-eastern country, abounding in such architecture.

Here’s the end of the cast list given on the Wikipedia page:

A man talking to a computer in his head? Where did you get that from? Mike in the book is a physical computer who communicates with people by phone and video.

Life of Henry Ford (based on whatever biography that takes your fancy.) Now, I know Ford was anti-Jew but that was basically all, since he freely associated with them and had many friends. He hated a lot of people for sure. At least Ford didn’t do a wholesale firing of Jews like he did his accountants at one time.

But he did publish The Protocols of the Elders of Zion in his Dearborn Independent. That’s not merely passive hating, but active propaganda.

I agree that telling his story would be interesting, warts and all.

Yes, but the writer seems to be painting Ford as little more than a man of his time. Men like that are harmless --except when they have a lot of money or power.

My first thought upon seeing this thread was Ringworld, but I think I can do better than that.

How about an extended series of all of the Known Space stories? Go in chronological order starting with the development of transfer booths and the social implications, the settling of the solar system, contact with aliens, Ringworld, etc.

Each story could be done in isolation, with maybe some characters appearing in other stories, like Lucas Garner does. Just a bit of overlap to provide continuity.

Heck, I’d love to see a Beowulf Schaeffer series. (I always pictured Rip Torn as Elephant) Or Gil The Arm.