Why is a reversed suspension being used as a reason for a permanent banning?

This is the crux of the matter. The same behaviour from a member of the in-group is not ‘disruptive’ because no one complains about taking a shot at the out-group. But if a member of the minority takes the same attitude, all hell breaks loose and the person is flagged as being disruptive or being a hijacker.

For example, I posted in the Musk thread that he may have screwed up. I got this bit of snark in response:

Had I snarked at a member of the in-group like this, I likely would have raised a storm, and had a few dozen more comments about my character added to the giant pit thread dedicated to how horrible I am. Perhaps a mod warning for personal insults.

The only way you can survive on the SDMB as a conservative is to watch your words carefully, ignore provocations, stay out of certain subjects, and have the fortitude to not flame out and suicide by mod. It’s not a coincidence that almost all the bannings we’re seeing are members from the right - some who invested years or decades in the olace.

I don’t know what to do about it, but the goal of ‘fighting ignorance’ is not achieved by a monoculture chatting in a bubble.