Why is CRT a hijack in a thread about the VA election? [rescinded CRT restriction]

The responses to my complaints about the moderation here invariably fall on deaf ears, but I do feel compelled to yet again raise such a complaint. Here we have this:

Now, ZS repeatedly ignored mod instructions, warning deserved (and considering he wants to talk about CRT in many / most threads, a topic ban could even be appropriate), but I’m deeply confused about @What_Exit “topic moderation” here. This is a thread about the election in Virginia this week. I’m a Virginian, and a fairly political involved/active one. CRT was the dominant issue in terms of attention received and talked about during this election, both locally and nationally. [Note it was not the “most important issue” as polled by voters–“education” typically ran 2nd or 3rd in most such polls, I’m talking about coverage / dialogue around the election though.]

I certainly agree the thread shouldn’t totally abandon the topic of the Virginia election, but I think the moderation essentially ends the thread as it stands, how are we supposed to discuss the election without mentioning and wading into the particulars on the actual policy issue that completely dominated all coverage of the election? It’d be like banning a mention of the coronavirus pandemic in discussing the 2020 Presidential election. I can understand wanting to keep something on topic, but CRT isn’t totally divergent from the topic, it was one of the chief controversies of the election itself.